1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals HTPC Remote Controls

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GTIgeneral, 9 Nov 2014.

1. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

So im almost done making my AM1 HTPC build but have one things left.... THE REMOTE!

Previously i was using XBMC on the Pi which allows you to use the tv remote via CEC.

But i dont think that i be able to do that with a proper HTPC so have been looking at different remote options.

There's loads on eBay and Amazon but a lot of them look like crap and are tatty and cheap.

So what are you guys using for your HTPC? any decent remotes for around the £10-15 mark?

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Do you have an android phone / tablet? If yes, search for Yatse in the play store, using it on a 2013 Nexus 7 atm as a XBMC remote and its pretty solid.

(note, I have no idea how nicely it plays with smaller screens, also dunno if there are apple / windows versions of it).

3. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Ive tried a few... never managed to get away feom needing a keyboard so i keep coming back to my logotech dinovo edge. Top quality and just works

4. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

I looked at controlling the HTPC using a phone/tablet as you say but it will be a lot easier for my girlfriend and her 3 year old daughter to use a remote as I'm not always going to be there when things go wrong :D

I did try out a few apps with XBMC a few years back and it just doesn't feel the same as having a remote with proper buttons if you know what i mean

I won't be doing away with mouse/keyboard altogether, its just easier to have a remote for doing the simpler things

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Unless you can get your hands on a proper Microsoft MCE remote, all the "compatibles" are cheap and nasty. Your only other solution is to get something like a Harmony One and use it to control all your equipment including the HTPC.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I have a Fractal Design Shape remote which is excellent but are like hens' teeth nowadays unfortunately - if I ever see one I'll buy it as a spare in case mine ever bites the dust. I use that about 90% of the time and then a wireless logitech keyboard with a build in touch pad the rest of the time.

7. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

8. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Another vote of Yatse here. I found once I had done all my setting up I never needed a keyboard again.

One friend swears by Rii remotes, you get normal looking buttons one side and a mini keyboard and touch pad the other.

Another used a Logitech D Mini something which was bluetooth.

Finally we got a logitech ultimate (http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/harmony-ultimate?crid=60) for my boss as his leaving gift which he loves. They do a non LCD one a little cheaper.

Hope that helps.

9. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

quite like the looks of this remote, found a few lenovo branded ones on ebay for around £12-15.

What are the buttons like on it? do they feel nasty or decent like the average sony/samsung tv remote?

10. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

I looked into the Rii remotes but cant decide whether or not to buy one as reviews are so mixed with them. the harmony remotes are just overkill for what i need :D

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

1) If you like the CEC control, then your best bet would be buying http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/104-usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.aspx and using CEC as before.
    2) Your second best bet if you have/can make an opening in your case is http://www.streacom.com/products/flirc-se-adaptive-ir-receiver/
    3) both new Logitech remotes with touchscreens are downgrade compared to the Harmony One. The only one i would consider a sidegrade to One is the Smart Control :
    http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/harmony-smart-control
    Sure, no fancy touch screen, only 3 activities (or additional 3 with long press), but you got physical number buttons and the Smart Hub, so you can use your phone as another remote if needed (both the phone and the remote communicate with the Smart Hub, which sends out the IR/BT signals as needed).

I personally have the combo of 1 + 3 - no 1 so i don't have to put an IR receiver anywhere for the HTPC part, and Harmony remote due the "scripting capabilities". I like that Harmony remotes keep track of what device has been active, so it doesn't turn them off if the new activity will use them too.

12. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

ooh i didnt know about that pulse CEC adapter, have you used one before?

I looked at an internal IR receiver but don't have the skill to chop up a brand new case :D and I don't mind having an external IR receiver

Think ill order the lenovo remote

[​IMG]

the build quality doesnt look to bad and the receiver isn't ugly either

EDIT: just realised the pic showed a dell branded remote but the lenovo is the exact same one

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I have and use the CEC USB adapter. It is supported in XBMC and Plex, at least in Linux builds.

You just plug it in the HDMI and USB ports on your board, then plug in the TV HDMI cable to the other HDMI connector on the adapter. Start XBMC, it should find it automatically (unless you have access rights problems with /dev/ttysomething, i think i had to put the user in the dialout user group). If you use an AVR, you will have to configure that in the options for the CEC remote. And that is all.

14. Williz

Williz Minimodder

Last edited: 13 Nov 2014
  15. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you, I completely forgot I had been on the forums. Well if you don't have the remote already, yes the buttons feel just like they would on a tv or vcr remote (rubber buttons). I actually found the receiver a little on the large side for my new pc case as I usually tuck it away behind the mesh at the front of a case but my new case is mini itx... anyway apparently the receivers are interchangeable so I can buy a different one in the future.

16. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder