1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable HTC one x or samsung s III

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adam_bagpuss, 25 Jun 2012.

1. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Title says it all really which one should I go with. Samsung is global version not slower USA version.

Can't decide they seem so closely matched. Reviews online are mixed and often based on the USA version.

Has anyone tried both or have you got either. Someone convince me which one to get?

Thanks in advance

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

HTC as it doesn't have the Samsung software.

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

One X is supposed to have very poor battery life, but apart from that it's regarded as an excellent phone.

I have the One S, and love it, and I kept it instead of the X because it has markedly better battery life (it also has miles deeper blacks because it's display tech is better - AMOLED with a universal backlight vs the local backlight of the IPS in the One X).

However, the S3 apparently has better battery than both, and their latest samsung software is good also.

Im no expert on smartphones but I researched all these phones very recently as I needed a smartphone and decided on the One S about a month and a half ago.

I think phonedog has some pretty good reviews and it may help you decide which you prefer (note the One X there is the US version though):

4. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

I have the one x - battery life is poor due to the screen, you could leave it in your pocket with wifi and Bluetooth on though and it would last all day,just turn the brightness down aor charge as reguarly as you can.

I much prefer HTC sense to the stock and samsung variants, it's just much more user friendly.
    I also thinkk the build quality is much better.

Apophis54 likes this.
  5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Neither, get a cheaper one and spend the money saved on alcohol/your poison of choice :p

I cannot understand why people need such powerful phones.

Between the two, I've also heard poor battery life on the X (no surprise with a quad core really)
    And I've got many friends with the SII who are very pleased with it, so no reason the SIII shouldn't also be very good.

Apophis54 likes this.
  6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I've got the HTC one X I use it online all the time cant say the battery life is bad at all keep the brightness down a bit and dont use a live wall paper and the battery life is good, and ICS runs great on it.

ICS seems to bork the usb and cause charging problems on the SII not so sure with the SIII though

Apophis54 likes this.
  7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Probably One X for me just because of its design, textured rear etc, so not slippy slidy like the S3

8. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I am in the same situation and I just ordered me an SGS3. My reasoning behind this:

• Supposedly better battery life
    • MicroSD slot (VERY IMPORTANT - I cannot live with just 32gb)
    • Currently own an HTC Desire and I would like to experience the Samsung ecosystem, a friend has the SGS2 and is very pleased with it

9. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

I went for the One X as I needed a new phone at the time (Sensation XE died on me) and the SIII wasn't released.

The battery seems fine for a phone with such a huge screen, the only thing I've found that hammers the battery are some games (Sonic) and using the GPS/Navigation.

A friend has the SIII and yes it is a nice phone, but Touchwiz is horrible and I personally don't like the 'shiny' case (SII felt cheap compared to my Sensation and the same goes for the SIII).

Apophis54 likes this.
  10. DanD120

DanD120 What's a Dremel?

For what my opinion is worth, I've a One X, and previously a Desire HD. I used the Galaxy S 2 as a loan phone when my Desire was repaired and I would never really move away from HTC because of it. Sense is much easier to use, the S2 interface just didn't do it for me.

The battery life on my One X has been much better than that of the Desire as Sense 4.0 has really improved over past versions, i had to use a battery saver program on my Desire.
    I generally have Wifi on all day and the screen set to automatic brightness, although the screen typically uses 66% of the battery on any given day. (I typically get 1 to 1.5 days from a full charge)

With regard to the 32GB storage, the phone comes bundles with a 25GB Dropbox account which is free for 2 years so if you're in Wifi enabled area and have access, this effectively gives you about 50GB of space. (You only get about 25.2GB of the 32GB free to use) Apart from my photos I've about 17GB free.

If i had to choose which phone I'd get again, I'd go for the One X :)

Last edited: 26 Jun 2012
  11. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

The problem with Dropbox is that I cannot stream my music from it. I want to have all of my 50 gigs of FLAC music with me, and that is just not possible unless I invest in a SGS3 with a MicroSD slot.

12. DanD120

DanD120 What's a Dremel?

Fair point, I don't really use it that way. But I can see why that's a problem.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

13. shah

shah Minimodder

I am due an upgrade soon so asking myself the same question. I am using Desire HD right now but the battery on this just lasts a day (12 hours). I like One X but only put off will be the Screen and Battery life... S3 is better but it looks cheap and plasticky and not sure about the samsung software.

14. adam_bagpuss

from what ive read the software is good much improved over the S2.

Ive read battery life is an issue with the X one generally lasting 1 day or less from moderate use.

+ the drop box looks cool but after 2 years you either need to remove all your stuff or pay drop box additional cash.

Tough choice for me at the moment still though

15. shah

shah Minimodder

Yes agree it is very tough. A few points: :D

Battery Life - S3
    Storage - S3
    Screen - S3
    Software - HTC
    Style - HTC

Edit: if only I can have HTC style and software with S3 screen and battery life :p

16. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I've got a One X, Amazing bit of kit. My mum had a S2 and had countless problems with it, because of that, i wouldn't go for the Samsung.

Sam

17. rollo

rollo Modder

Sg3 once routed is the better phone ( removes all samsung crap does not void warranty)

Htc one is nice if your only out 12 hrs a day problem becomes when you are out longer the phone just doesn't have the battery life.

18. adam_bagpuss

just spoke to t-mobile about my contract and the online guy tried to screw me.

brand new S3 for £36 a month + £50 = unlimited everything

he offered S3 for £36 a month + £25 (after i complained) then said i get 600 mins, unlimited texts and 1.5GB of data shall i renew your contract

HA jog on

19. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Camera on the One X will probably be very slightly better too.

I think Shah is correct with his points (although some would argue the One X has a slightly better display, but I'd prefer AMOLED personally over IPS).

I'v found juice defender is awesome for saving me battery. I'v even paid for the plus version of it.

20. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I'm with 3 and I got New One X = 34 a month + £24 2000 minutes, unlimited data, 5000 texts + upto £50 of 0800 number's included

Everything I've read say's you would have to return it back to stock or the warranty would be void

Only ever need to charge mine every two days.

Best advice is go and have a play with both then make your mind up

Shirty likes this.