1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Website - To CMS or not to CMS?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ljs, 26 Jan 2014.

1. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I'm looking to make a website for my father in my spare time as I have been meaning to do so for quite some time.

Thing is, part of his current site consists of many galleries of hundreds (500+ in each) photos. I have asked if this could be cut down but he is adament that they stay as they are projects and while not being step by step guides, they are the most concise information available on the web and also his passion.

Is there a CMS out there which would let me (and then him) upload these photos in bulk? Around 50% maybe more have captions too.

Thought a CMS might do it and I have also never used one so might make it a bit more interesting for me and get a bit more knowledge while I'm at it.

Suggestions?

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

3. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Wordpress, with the plugin called RoyalSlider is pretty comprehensive, and comes with literally tons of different appearances. Very easy to manage too. Excellent documentation available too.

Ljs likes this.
  4. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Excellent, thanks for the input.

I hadn't actually considered Wordpress so good shout. I'll look into these, didn't realise it had that feature.

5. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Check out theme forest as well for some pretty decent templates

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ljs likes this.
  6. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Will do thanks, I quite often look there anyway and marvel over their responsive templates...

7. FaeLLe

FaeLLe What's a Dremel?

Joomla can be a good solution for some corporate websites as well.
    They provide slightly more functionality and extensibility than wordpress as well.

You should of course cater for the fact that they are more hard work to maintain.