1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Firefox won't start

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by jcaplis, 24 Apr 2011.

1. jcaplis

jcaplis What's a Dremel?

Hello all,

I went to open firefox just now and got this error message: [​IMG]

What does that mean? My laptop overheated and shut down earlier today as I was installing an update to Adobe Reader (left it on the couch to answer the phone, stupid me), don't know if that's part of the problem, but I'm guessing not because I was able to open firefox several times between the overheating issue and now. I checked the mozilla website as well as google, but didn't find much. Any help you can offer is appreciated.

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

have you tried launching firefox in safe mode? will it start with all plug-ins/ extensions disabled? if so keep turning them back on one at a time till you find one that stops launching (adobe reader plug in?), uninstall that, reinstall. otherwise if not, maybe reinstall firefox.

[edit] another thing to check for is any copies of kernel32.dll other than the one in the windows folder. there shouldn't be one anywhere else, like the firefox folder for example.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2011
  3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I think you should be more concerned on why your laptop overheated over a Firefox, where at worst, a re-install will fix, while a laptop is more a of a hardware failure, and should be sent for repair. Laptops should throttle when overheating, not shutdown. Plus unless you block the air vent, it should not even get there in the first place.

4. jcaplis

jcaplis What's a Dremel?

Yeah the vent was blocked but I've had a history of problems with this laptop overheating. It saves my data then turns itself off to keep it from melting itself. Last time I buy a laptop. Desktops Cheesecake. The hardware itself is fine, everything else but firefox is working. I'm going to try to re-install again. Maybe using firefox 4 instead of whatever version I had before will make a difference. If not I'll try the safe mode/add-ons thing.