1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd Folding Rig

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by meandmymouth, 17 Apr 2012.

1. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

So, I've had a productive day today. I set up my 2nd folding rig (my 1st just being my everyday machine in my sig).

There is something that I wanted to say about this, however.

This rig includes a Q8300 and GTX260 (for now). The big thing about it is that overall I have spent almost no money putting in together. I couple of months ago I acquired a full PC consisting of a E6550 C2D and very little else of note, for free. I proceeded to sell this CPU for £25 and acquire the Q8300 for about £45 (net spend £20).
    The 260 was generously donated to me on here for folding as it only has one working output, the VGA.
    The only other thing I needed was a PSU that could power this rig, which arrived today courtesy of the marketplace. This cost me £25. Fully working rig for £45!

So, I have put together a fairly capable spare rig which will be used for folding for the time being.

With the Chimps Challenge coming up I hope to expand on this too, mainly this rig but maybe with another rig too.

I have an XFX 780i SLi motherboard which will eventually be used. I will also be looking for another 1 or 2 260's (maybe something else, too) and a decent high-power PSU. Again, I am looking to spend as little as possible (net that is). I have a few bits to sell which should help fund this effort.

I'm just writing this to say thank you to the forum members for being so wonderful!

Roll on Chimps Challenge!

2. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Brief update on the 2nd rig.

Getting around 9,000 ppd which isn't bad. I reckon with an overclock (once I start using the XFX mobo, current Intel board doesn't OC) to the CPU and GPU I can get 10,000 ppd out of it.