1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Keep BSODing, want to get to the bottom of it.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Falco2073, 22 Jul 2014.

1. Falco2073

Falco2073 Minimodder

I made a topic about this a while back and came to the conclusion that it was my graphics card. Got a new one and it worked fine for about 3 weeks (the longest time it's worked for a year and a half or so) but it's started back again with a vengeance. I really want to get to the bottom of this but I'm not sure where to start. I ran Prime95 a week or so ago overnight and it worked fine, and I ran memtest quite a while ago with no problems but I may have to do it again. I have a dump of BlueScreenView stuff which I can share, but unfortunately it means nothing to me!

I've attached a copy of the report, but if there's a different method I should be using to display this information, let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The report can be found here:

BlueScreenView HTML Report

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Run memtest86+ overnight. That's a lot of different bsods to be getting.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

dumb question but has this only just started happening in the past 2 weeks?

reason i ask is i used to get issues like this around this time of year and then i realized it was the summer heat pushing some parts of the mobo over their limits

stip and clean everything, hell pop the side off and stick a deskfan blowing air in there. see if that does anything. thermal issues are a bitch to diagnose :/

4. Falco2073

Falco2073 Minimodder

That was the exact same thought that went through my head. That's what concerns me the most as it seems so strange to get a different one almost every time. I will try running memtest again and see what happens.

I've considered that as a possibility, but my temps seem to be fine. At 100% load, my CPU goes to around 50 and my GPU goes to about 72. They're not great by any means, but I don't think they should be causing that many issues. I have dumps going all the way back to the 30th of April but it was happening long before then, I just didn't have the minidump setting on so I have no records of them.

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it could be other parts of the board not cooled sufficiently by the fans

6. Falco2073

Falco2073 Minimodder

That's possible. I will say I haven't changed the thermal paste on my CPU for quite a while, so maybe I should do that. This room goes up to 28C quite easily in this temperature, so it's definitely hot in here. I only have the 2 stock fans (1 intake, 1 exhaust) that come with the Antec P183 as well as a Noiseblocker NB-eLoop Fan B12-4 as exhaust. I can try pointing a desktop fan at my internals though, if I can find one!

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It wouldn't be the PSU by any chance would it ? Would a PSU cause random BSOD's if it was on its last legs and wasn't able to hold a steady voltage.

8. Falco2073

Falco2073 Minimodder

It could be, but I'd like to think not. I bought a Corsair GS7 in September 2011 because my last PSU kicked the bucket. My PC isn't modern by any means so it has more than ample power. With that said, there is no particular reason why it couldn't just be dying on me. I do have a spare PC that I could try it with and see if that ends up BSODing eventually or not.

I'd be willing to bet that a PSU could cause those kinds of issues, but as it's been happening intermittently for a year and a half or so now, I would imagine it would have died by now.

My PC is from 2008 or so, and my RAM, CPU and Mobo are the only things left standing. I have replaced the PSU, HDD and GPU due to failure, so I'm led to believe it's one of the things that hasn't changed yet! It's had a good run, I just can't afford to upgrade at the moment unfortunately, so I'm doing my best to keep this one alive. It does make gaming and such very difficult though because I never know when it's going to kill itself. There's no warning signs or anything, it just hangs for a couple seconds then dies. It's also restarted itself twice in the last couple days without a BSOD, which I imagine could very well be heat?

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

a lot of motherboards have components around the cpu zif socket that rely on downwards airflow from the cpu for cooling. aftermarkets often use mass vertical sinks with sidewards flowing fans.

again dump a desk fan in its face, see what happens.

10. Falco2073

Falco2073 Minimodder

I have a Tuniq Tower, which is exactly that. I'll try reapplying thermal paste to my CPU and get a desktop fan and see what happens.

11. Falco2073

Falco2073 Minimodder

Finally got the chance to do a memory test, which I left running for about 8 hours with no failures or problems. With all the different blue screens I've been getting, does this leave heat as the most likely suspect?

Since my last post I've had 3 BSODs, 2 PFN_LIST_CORRUPT errors and 1 MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error.

12. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

A PSU could easily cause random BSOD's regardless of it's age or brand so if you have a known working spare swap em out. Have you run malwarebytes or any other virus checkers to see if something nasty is on your machine?

Another thing I would consider is grabbing a spare HDD and bung on an a fresh install of Windows. If the fresh install Blue screens on you then you know it's a hardware issue for sure.

13. Falco2073

Falco2073 Minimodder

Good news(?), I tested 2 of my RAM sticks for 14 hours on Memtest yesterday with no errors, and I am just testing the other 2 sticks now, one of which has given an error. I assume this could definitely be a possible cause?

I am using my spare PC's RAM in my main PC at the moment while testing my main PC's
    RAM in the spare PC, and my PC has not had a BSOD using the spare PC's RAM yet.

[​IMG]

14. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Oh yes

15. Falco2073

Falco2073 Minimodder

I'm not sure if it's worth checking which one is bad. They're only 1GB sticks and if I were to buy more, I'd get 2x2GB sticks and I wouldn't have the space for either of them. Looks like I'll be getting some new RAM then.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Last edited: 29 Jul 2014
  16. Falco2073

Falco2073 Minimodder

Bad news! Using different RAM than the one with errors and just got another BSOD. This time it was a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, which I've received a couple of times, but this time it was on the driver NDProxy.SYS, which has not happened yet.

What else can I look at?