1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs My PC is a teenager – it won’t wake up in the morning

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Get a laptop. :DD

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm a teen and I'm up at 7 every day, be it work day or not! Don't blame the teens!

4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I've built 4 PCs over the years and I've never been able to get any of them to hibernate properly, something always fails on wake and causes instability until I reboot.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Doesn't hibernate preserve programs and stuff? You could use that instead of the awkward sleep.

6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Just save your work and switch it off. Unless the PC is from the 90's it shouldn't take long to boot up anyway.

7. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

do What i do just leave it on mines normally dling over night anyway :)

8. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

This ^^

Turn PC on
    Go make coffee
    Return to freshly booted PC with less extraneous stuff in the memory and page file.
    Drink coffee while surfing for interesting stuff to report to us while we battle with boredom at work

Everyones a winner

9. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i once lost an entire installation of RC1 due to dodgy sleep/wake. seems it never works properly and is prone to break things, take my advice and dont bother

10. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

...flash your BIOS?

11. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I've built hundreds of PCs in my time (at one point I worked for a small white-box company) and I can categorically state:

- Sleep and standby barely work, and work best on laptops, but even after a couple of days they need a reboot
    - Hibernate will see you clear for anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks but at that point it'll randomly crash and you need a reboot

I have honestly found that just shutting down every night and booting while sorting your morning drink is the best way forwards.

12. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

5V rails always seem to suck the most. Even on the 'good' power supplies they seem to be relatively worse off than the 3.3V and the 12V.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

+1
    Never seen a desktop system do this well, it's just not worth the hassle.
    My (work) notebook does fine, but get's restarted once a week anyway.

14. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I noticed that in the latest PSU roundup in CPC, why is that? Most power supplies had a lot worse 5v and 5vSB rails than any other rail. Even the premium grade Antec Truepower New 650w got 4.95v (brilliant) on the 5v rail but 4.75v on the 5vSB rail which is the minimum of ATX spec o_O

15. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Just to be different, the past few PCs i've had sleep/hibernate perfectly. Only issue i had a while back that was my raid card didn't spin up the drives after sleep/hibernate, so i moved it to my server :p

It's really quite nice when it does work.
    One-click button on a win7 gadget to sleep, mash the keyboard to wake and the PC is usable 2 seconds later :D

Though you do need to reboot sometimes as others mentioned, after a few weeks windows can get a bit wonky and also some updates demand it.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2010
  16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

now imagine your a prebuilt buyer and know nothing- roid rage

zoon and cyril summed it up.. most of the comps out there just don't do it right- even had a issue on the eee netbook bought last year- came configured to hibernate every 10 minutes.. but took the nic with it until you disabled it in the manager

feel sorry for people who don't know what's going on.. I could see a bunch of eee's getting smashed rolling down the stairs after talking with a fake geek with glasses from best buys

it would go something like this..

"this f'ing computer you sold me doesn't work it won't connect to the net wifi!"

"sir, calm down.. now what is it doing exactly?"

"it won't work.. sometimes it works sometimes it don't!"

"come in and we'll take a look at it.. $60 a hour + and upgrades you might need"

*click laptop takes a trip down the steps and the guy runs out and buys a apple

17. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

I have the opposite problem, my PC is an insomniac and wakes up if you so much as look at the mouse, so I tend to shutdown.

18. salesman

salesman Minimodder

+1
    I set my keys on the desk my computer jumps up.

I had to set windows 7 to performance mode because it would freeze just randomly sometimes within 5 minutes sometimes it would take 5 hours.

I have spent several hours on the phone, and several emails with Microsoft, to try and correct the problem, I have even flashed the bios and updated all the drivers and did a clean install of windows like 3 times, but it is all to no avail. However, when I set windows 7 to performance mode, I have absolutely no issues with my computer freezing, so go figure. I can live without sleep or hibernate mode.

19. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

My (self built) PC does seem to sleep properly, but it does have a tendency to turn it's self on by it's self in the morning.
    Now it's in a new case (Zalman MS1000) and water cooled I can sleep through it being on though, although as it wakes up it spins up the CD wich is pretty noisy.

I've never had a desktop that both hibernated and slept properly. Most laptops work fine though.

20. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

I have no issues with sleep, I don't like the inordinate amount of time it takes to resume from hibernate though. I suppose it just reads the contents of hiberfile.sys back into memory? Because even though I'm only usually using 1-2GB of RAM, it takes forever to resume, as though it is reading 2GB of nuls.
    Of course, some of this may be down to my awful HDD.

Tags: Add Tags