1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fury X Radiator Placement

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Mr Evil, 20 Jun 2015.

1. Mr Evil

Mr Evil What's a Dremel?

I am considering an AMD Fury X, which comes stock with AIO water cooling. Due to the configuration of my case I would have to put the radiator underneath the card itself. That would put the pump at the highest point in the loop, since it's on the GPU.

According to the Fury X's manual:
    Do you think that's a strict requirement? I would have thought that the relative position of the radiator would not matter for a closed-loop cooler.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

If there's any air in the loop at all it could just end up sitting in the pump and the coolant may not get circulated. It's possible they leave some air in it to make the filling process easier.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It's a sealed unit so won't need bleeding or anything like that, so you can pretty much put it anywhere it will fit. Doesnt matter what way up it goes.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I asked a similar question but with regards to the EVGA 980ti hybrid - the responses I had were all the same which was that it shouldn't matter for an AIO cooler. What case do you have btw?

5. Mr Evil

Mr Evil What's a Dremel?

So the consensus is that it shouldn't matter. theshadow2001's point about leaving air in the loop sounds plausible though... maybe once sites have cards for review, I could persuade someone to test it to be sure.

I have a custom-built case. I made a thread in the modding forum about it. There is physically room to place a radiator at the top of the case above the CPU, or I could cut another hole somewhere, but that wouldn't be good for cooling efficiency or noise.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Very nice indeed :thumb: I would definitely just use one of the mounts in the bottom of the case and be done with it - I've seen plenty of pics on t'internet of people mounting the rads for AIO coolers in the bottom of their cases I presume without any issue. Sounds like you'll need to be fast off the mark if you're hoping to bag a Fury X on launch date - I read on OCUK earlier that they expect their allocation of them to sell out in a matter of minutes...

7. Mr Evil

Mr Evil What's a Dremel?