1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop slow boot up at startup... help please

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by LightingBird, 30 Jun 2007.

1. LightingBird

LightingBird Minimodder

Ok... Now I have very limited things that are on my start up list. This just started happening about a month ago. I've guess I gave up and have just been dealing with the problem. When I boot up my laptop. Once it gets past the windows xp screen it loads up the blue screen where you log in. After I'm past that... My desktop background comes up and I have to sit for about two minutes before I get loaded into the desktop. Its driving me crazy!

I've tried the following with no success.

1. Checked the start up list and only have 3 things on boot up.
    2. Ran a adaware check.
    3. Did a system restore.
    4. Performed a defrag.

No luck, no love... any help :)

2. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

What are those 3 things? It seems pretty extensive for 3 things to take 2 minutes, but if they are all anti-spyware/anti-virus it can take them forever to start up(Norton and Spysweeper come to mind as really slow). What are the stats of your laptop? If you don't have sufficient ram then that might be why.

3. TheVoice

TheVoice What's a Dremel?

To be honest, when Windows starts getting slow like that I tend to find that the only real cure is to wipe it clean and start again. Not what you want to hear, I know, but having fiddled around with all sorts of settings etc before, a clean install always seems to become most beneficial.

4. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Before re-installing Windows defrag the boot files. At the Command Prompt type in "defrag C: -b"*. It can take up to a couple minutes depending on your computer speed and amount of fragmentation. This fixes a delayed Start button and slow boot-up problems.

*Start->Run... cmd
    C:\Documents and Settings\You>defrag C: -b

5. ckrieger

ckrieger What's a Dremel?

Besides your startup list, try checking your services...Start > Run > services.msc

Anything that is not crucial to what you do, set to manual or disable from starting up. If you have apache or some kind of web server, a couple anti-virus programs or things of the like, set the services for them to manual and then try another reboot. See if that doesn't fix things.

Hope this helps!
    ckrieger

6. mrlanrat

mrlanrat What's a Dremel?

Whenever that happens i recommend this tool. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/Autoruns.mspx it shows you EVERYTHING that runs when you boot your computer. just don't delete any startup programs if you don't know what they are. the section that you want to look at is the "logon" tab. everything in that tab runs after you log in.

7. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

There is a programme called bootvis which will run and tells you how long each application and driver takes to load up so you can see which is takeing the time. I have used it a few times and it comes in rather handy in these sort of problems.

8. mrlanrat

Nice program, iv never herd of it before, thanks.

9. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

I hope you get it sorted because ive just brought a new laptop and its running vista WTF its noware near powerful enough to run that, and initial boot is slower then an old man on the hiway/moterway.

10. mrlanrat

my vista laptop was like that when i first got it. I did a clean reinstall of the os from my own DVD. not the one your manufacture gives you. it got rid of all the unwanted (for me) crapware and such. and it runs way faster. the only inconvenience is that you need to reinstall the drivers yourself. which for me mend just downloading afile off the ned and clicking install.

11. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

I just need to install linux but i cant find any information on the laptop.

12. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

This has been stated, But are you running something like norton?

How much RAM have you got?

Check in task manager how many processes you have running. A heathly install of XP should ahve less than 35 (40 if you have something like norton installed, tho I'd suggest removing it if you do).

The are loads of programs to tell you start up info. If you don't want to downlaod any, run the "msconfig" utility from the run box from the start menu - it does show everything, but it has a fair few.

13. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

If anyone is interested i formatted my brand new Acer Aspire 3690 WLMi and after a bit of work its now 85% working including on board wireless.
    However i have a couple more things to sort out
    1, card reader wont read MSDP so having to connect psp for that.
    2 Media keys not working but thats because i need to install the acerhk driver.

In closing I just want to say, for £350 + 24 hrs trying to understand complicated docs the Acer is a good linux laptop.

14. mikeb1

mikeb1 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for this I have downloaded this program as I am having same start up problems.
    But not sure what I do now, is it a case of restarting my laptop and seeing what happens ?

Mike.

15. LightingBird

LightingBird Minimodder

16. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Reported.