1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam ARMA 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by adrock, 16 Sep 2013.

1. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

Anyone played much Arma 3? Care to recommend any good scenarios or MP missions from the steam workshop (or otherwise)?

not having a campaign is a bit weak, but I'm enjoying what I've played so far.

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I've put in about a dozen or so hours, spread across Wasteland MP servers and a few missions that ZiiP have run on our own server.

We're chopping and changing things ourselves, but there are one or two of the scenarios that are worth looking at;

1) Insurgency Mission
    I didn't play this myself, but heard the after-report from the lads which was basically just a series of satisfied whoops and whistles! They said it was awesome.

2) Hostage Rescue

The campaign is coming out over time, but at the moment I'm really enjoying wandering around with the others practising as a squad.

3. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I enjoyed the Escape Scenario even if having Ifrits and Tanks come at you was a pain.

Not to mention the poor selection of weapons and constant enemies.

4. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I have put about 60 hours in since the alpha, mainly Wastelands, but I have found a couple sniper, squad and all out war missions. Will post a pic with the names later.
    So far I have been enjoying it quite a bit.

5. adrock

danny, julian and I attempted a Seize $TOWN one yesterday and it was alright. I feel like it badly needs a greater variety of weapons, but for intents and purposes there's a range of weapons (rifle, semi auto rifle, compact, LMG) for each relevant caliber.

I've got a dynamic sandbox one to try out which is a generic 'conquer the map' one with a bunch of AI, and there's some nice SP squad based scenarios with dynamic objectives but they're SP only.

doing stuff as a squad would certainly be interesting, it's been better with 2 or 3 players than 1 for everything i've tried so far. Might try that insurgency one tonight.

And it's not DayZ.

6. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

insurgency sounds cool. I am up for that later.

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

One of our admins just scratch-made a Defend/Attack Scenario around a church. CQB for the most part, some light vehicles with low ammo, a mortar with low ammo and a round-finish when one player reaches 11 spawns (works like tickets in BF3).

Have to say, for 3 v 3 urban combat, it was ACE! :D

Looking forward to more of these things. The editor is nice to work with.

8. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Have they made the editor easier to use? I had a play with it but didnt spend a lot of time using it. Found it overly complicated tbh

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

9. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Is it worth buying, have bought the last two though not put that much time into them.

10. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I really didn't get into ArmA2, despite my love for Operation Flashpoint.

DayZ was fun, but it was the atmosphere and situations you got into that made the game, the engine sucked ass.

I'm enjoying ArmA3 a lot and definitely glad I picked it up off the gamestore.

There are so many different ways to play it as well, which will help the longevity of it.
    I like popping onto a Wasteland server with some mates and running amok and doing missions, or creating a group of independents and making life hell for other players.
    Then you can go proper VS in scenarios, or co-op scenarios as well.

It's not BF3, it is harsh and the AI is a damn good shot, so be warned.

Blatant plug for the lads, it's 26.99 GBP (€32.02) on the ZiiP Gamestore at the moment.

11. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

How big is the game to download, stuck on adsl so preffer to buy larger games on disc.

12. adrock

i've started a game with the dynamic war system thing on altis. it's a bit like the conquer the whole map thing from arma 2, there are a bunch of enemy zones with aptrols and whatnot, you get objectives to capture them and your side go out and do so and you're free to interact with them as much or as little as you like.

Last night i drove up to the side of a hill and watched as my squad came down the road, engaged enemies and i provided flanking fire, and it all worked incredibly well. by the time the last few enemies had worked out my position and started to close in on me the friendly squad had got behind them and i just hid behind a rock while they cleaned up.

next objective for tonight is to capture the two zones covering the airfield and try to work out how to get my troops into the vehicles i've got.

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

It's about 5 or 6 GB to download I think, requires 10GB of HDD space.

14. adrock

glad to know it's available cheaper than the £40 steam want for it, which would probably seem mroe reasonable if the pre-order hadn't been so much cheaper with the alpha/beta access.

might have to join you for some arma 3 some time, it'd be good to see what it's like with more people.

15. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Adrock, you've got a PM.

16. adrock

So I have. thanks :) I'll take a look when i get home.

17. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Good games tonight Adrock! :D

That was a hell of a 2 hour session! :rock:

If anyone wants to check out snippets from a 2 hour ZiiP Twitch feed, check the link below. Large explosions at 1 hour 54 minutes, 2 hours, 2 hours 15 minutes and a hell of a hail of lead towards the end!

http://www.twitch.tv/ziipgamestore/b/464710260

18. dave_salmon

dave_salmon What's a Dremel?

Ballz but it was fun!

19. adrock

yeah, i think maybe we were pushing it with 5 folks in the back of an open truck driving slowly over a hill, but i did some good spotting and shot someone called potatoman :)

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Tearing down the hill with ^^Dave driving and watching the volume of fire coming at us (which unfortunately killed you and seriously wounded me) after Jes and the others converged on the guys shooting was awesome. Some great firefights after that as well.

Should be on again tonight I reckon.