1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mouse issues, help!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by KENDIK, 3 Oct 2009.

1. KENDIK

KENDIK What's a Dremel?

Help please! This is been driving me insame now :wallbash:

I've reinstalled XP with all the updates, installed all motherboard drivers using wireless mouse.
    All is working correctly, but when I try to plug in a standard optical mouse, it is recognised, I can see that the drivers are installing from the baloon pop up, then the mouse briefly works for a couple of seconds, then it stops.

The keyboard on the other hand works perfectly. I have tried a couple of different ones in various USB ports, with the same result. Even tried PS2 mouse, but no avail.

There is nothing else plugged in to any USB ports at all.

Can you suggest any solution please?

2. doggeh

doggeh What's a Dremel?

Well a PS2 mouse will need to be plugged in BEFORE you turn on the machine for it to be recognised... It will not work if you plug it in after the machine has booted up.

Try that and if the PS2 mouse works it sounds like your USB optical mouse is simply broken.

3. KENDIK

KENDIK What's a Dremel?

Sorry but i do know that the PS2 mouse needs to be plugged in BEFORE the system is on.

I have also tried 4 x different mouses in second PC, and they all worked fine ( 2x brand new Logitech's, Microsoft optical and Apple Mighty Mouse ).

CHecked event viewer, but no errors on it. Nothing else is plugged in to spare USB ports as well. No addiditonal PC cards, that can conflict with the system.

4. doggeh

doggeh What's a Dremel?

Well that is truly bizarre :confused:

The next thing I'd check is that the motherboard drivers you've installed are actually the correct ones for your exact model of motherboard. Lots of drivers may work but try installing the ones off the CD that came with the board, they may be older but they'll be guaranteed to rule out driver issues at least.

Other than that I'm stumped, sorry!

thehippoz likes this.
  5. KENDIK

KENDIK What's a Dremel?

Installed all the drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard.

this is the most bizzare problem i've had in my whole IT career. I know that i could possibly reinstall OS and see what happens, but i want to know why it happen in a first place.

6. doggeh

doggeh What's a Dremel?

Have you checked in Device Manager that there are no problematic devices? i.e. devices with a yellow highlight beside them?

7. KENDIK

KENDIK What's a Dremel?

Checked this as well, all looks fine

8. doggeh

doggeh What's a Dremel?

Yep sorry mate I'm stumped then.

9. dushuai

dushuai What's a Dremel?

check out the mainboard,I think the north bridge may be the problem,may be the driver or hardware problem if your USB mouse and PS2 mouse can`t work properly both,the way is using an USB camera or another thing to check the USB is OK.

10. MorpheusUK

MorpheusUK a Noob that knows something

Here's a suggestion.
    Go to Device Manager -> Mice and other pointing devices -> and Uninstall the mouse.
    Then reboot with the mouse plugged in and see if that works.
    To me it sounds like a miss installed mouse driver.

11. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

+1, was gonna suggest that aswell.

12. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

are you on a glass surface for the mouse? Do you have 'ball' mouse to try?

13. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I had a similar situation (though with an MCE remote). I ended up removing everything related to USB in the device manager - including the Universal Serial Bus controllers. On reboot it took some time for Windows to rebuild it all but it all worked.