1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards New BIOS Heads-up for Gigabyte X58 owners (UD5 & Extreme)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zurechial, 30 Oct 2009.

1. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I always had some trouble getting my GA-EX58-UD5 to boot cleanly with my i7-920 at anything past 3.8GHz in the past.

On the F7c BIOS the system could be rock-solid stable for me while stress-testing at 4GHz (albeit with 1.5v vCore for a seriously power-hungry chip! ) yet it would act up when booting from cold some of the time.

Anyone who has a Gigabyte X58 board is probably familiar with how it switches itself off almost fully and does a cold boot when you change memory timing or Uncore/QPI settings in the BIOS.
    If it has trouble getting to POST at current settings it reboots itself and keeps trying to cold boot until it either gives up and resets to safe values or is switched off by the user.
    (It's actually quite disconcerting to hear Spinpoint F1s doing their WHOOOOP 5-6 times in a row without booting :eeek:)

I updated the BIOS to the relatively new F9e revision yesterday using Gigabyte's in-Windows @bios program and I've found it to be much more forgiving during those cold boots and much more likely to successfully get into windows with a high bclk & multi.

It also finally fixes that annoying bug where the fan automation settings in "PC Health" would switch to disabled (ie; Fans at full pelt constantly) after changing settings in the MIT Tweaker page.

So for anyone trying to get to 4GHz and beyond with a 920 on the UD5 or Extreme, give the new BIOS a whirl!
    Obviously your mileage may vary, some people still swear by the F4 BIOSes for these boards, but the F9e certainly helped my system.
    BIOS downloads: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2958