1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Onboard vs dedicated Soundcard

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by sandys, 25 May 2012.

1. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Just a quickie, I picked up a Xonar DX based on some comments on the forum regarding onboard
    audio being poor and dedicated soundcards being better.

When I first switched over to DX I fired up battlefield and I am sure that it sounded better so was pleased but on subsequent runs the sound doesn't seem as good as it was, I have switched in the onboard again and there is no difference between them, so something it up.

Both onboard and Xonar will activate Dolbly digital light on decoder when I test in windows, but it doesn't come on in game, should it?

Trying to figure out if something in my setup as gone awry or if in fact on my first play through I thought it sounded better as I was twiddling with the sub settings etc,

I am going to try an uninstall and re laod of drivers but thought I'd put a post up.

It should be noted I use optical out on both scenarios to my decoder, I do not use analog.

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Difference is most evident between onboard and dedicated with analogue. Using digital the difference is negligible as your receiver does the majority of the processing work as receiving a more or less raw data stream from the source. There may be some minor improvement differences, but it will likely not be anything substantial.

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Agree with Lysol. Also, "better" sounding audio is subjective, not everyone will hear a difference between on board and dedicated sound cards. As for it sounding better on the first run through, maybe that was a placebo effect?

Oh and if the game should be outputting Dolby Digital, then the light should come on. All the settings right in game for your audio?

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Right Sorted, sound is back and it is better again yay :D

Turns out I set the machine up incorrectly when dicking about, of course I may have made the same mistakes with the onboard so it could be that it would sound better too, can't be arsed to try at the mo as I have to get some work done but I will later.

Source