1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays issues with connecting a display to htpc

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by t4n6o, 25 Sep 2014.

1. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

Hey guys, a friend of mine has given me her HTPC to do some work on as she isnt very technically minded.

The initial problem arose when she hooked it back up and she kept getting the BSOD followed by a few tries later boot mgr missing error, so she asked me to format the hard drive and reinstall windows - ok no problem except for when i hook up either my VGA monitor or HDMI TV it just keeps shows a black screen on my VGA monitor with the message no display and the same with the TV.

config of system is:-
    ASUS M4a78-EM mobo
    Some AMD chip (not sure which as i dont want to disturb that)
    4gb corsair xms 2 (ddr2) 2 x 2gb
    radeon 5770
    seagate baracuda 1tb

Any suggestions please as i cant think of what is wrong with it :wallbash:

thanks

2. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

First things first are you plugged into the motherboard or the graphics card?

I would initially reseat the graphics card.
    Then I'd try a different graphics card or the on board and see what happens.

Also check the latest BIOS is installed, just for fun

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

3. t4n6o

Ive tried both MOBO graphics and graphics card to no avail.

Not even able to see any kind of loading screen as it just shows black screen as if its not even loading so cant even check BIOS

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Sounds like a CPU issue. Especially of it's an APU chip.

5. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I think it is a Phenom 2 era from a quick Google so I suspect it isn't an APU chip Pookie, though I could be very wrong.

6. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

My guess is the video card is causing BSOD and is failing or not properly installed, further the onboard graphics may be forced off in the bios setting.

Completely unplug the video card and connect the display to onboard graphics. Reset the bios to default, you can do this by removing the watch battery from the mobo for a minute or 2, then try firing it up again. See if it starts up then, you may want to check you are on the latest bios if it does at this point. After that try reinstalling the graphics card and seeing if that works.

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I was going to say, have you tried taking out the gpu and then using the onboard?

8. t4n6o

thanks for this guys, gunna try the removal of the battery as well as the graphics card and see if it can fire up that way so at least i can get a display to install windows then set up the usual stuff lan, mobo drivers etc then will try the graphics card and so on.

will keep you posted

9. t4n6o

Right..... I removed the gpu and battery and thats let me I stall windows, however whilst it it was doing its routine of shutting down and turning on to finish installation it crashed and now I have the display problem again, it just shows a black screen as if it is turned on but not receiving a signal, so I removed hard drive and put it back in my tower to format the hard drive to start again but guess what....... the same problem with tge display.

Tried removing the battery again and unplugged the vga from mobo and reconnecting but yet still no display for me to do what I need to do.

Not sure if there could be another underlining problem with the mobo or chip that could be intermittent that could be causing me these issues. I know that the setup is about 4 years old but I doubt that would be a problem.

Anymore ideas would be muchly appreciated

10. t4n6o

Just a bit of an update.

I left it for about an hour and I got an image of the motherboard logo then it said about the date and time being incorrect press f1 to change or f2 to load default, then it just crashed:wallbash:

11. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Reseat the memory and reseat the processor.

12. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Is your cooler seated correctly? Have you tried with another PSU?