1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics [Tweak tool] NV GPU Pro for Nvidia graphic card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 8 Apr 2009.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The following post has been updated to reflect the latest version

Hello all,

I am exited to present to you my new simple tool that I have made for Nvidia Geforce and Quadro series graphic cards for laptop and desktop computers, named Nv GPU Pro.

Nv GPU Pro, allows you to change several Nvidia video card settings that are not normally available to the end user, such as Enable/Disable: Temperature control GPU clock, GPU core/memory clock slow down, change the Nvidia PoweMizer behavior, and more. All of this, in a an easy to use interface, and help documentation.
    Now supports systems with multiple GPU's, and 197 drivers series of Nvidia and much more...

Screen shots (click to enlarge)

About

This tool will automatically detect what your video card/driver supports and disable the unsupported option to prevent any problems. No installation required. 1 file package executable application, just run the exe... everything is in itself, including help documentation, with auto-clean up system when the application is closed. No MESS!

Nv GPU Pro, was designed for past, current and future Microsoft Windows operating system, without any compatibility issue (hopefully). Nv GPU Pro 2.1 build 107, has been tested to work under Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, Vista 32/64 and Windows 7 32/64!

Notes:
    • Clean. This software is ads, Worms, Virus, Infections, Spywares, Trojans, Adware Free. No install, and keeps everything clean on your system. 100% portable!
    • Administrator. Administration privileges are require to change settings as it affects all users.

What's new?

• New - Multi-GPU support (up to 2 GPUs).
    • New - Support for 197 driver series.
    • New - Support for 196 driver series.
    • New - System Windows Experience Index rating on 'Basic system information' panel. (Vista/7 only)
    • New - View details of the Windows Experience Index benchmark. (Vista/Win7 only)
    • New - Save and Print Windows Experience Index benchmark details.
    • New - Check for updates of Nv GPU Pro system.
    • Improved - Windows 7 support.
    • Improved - Unsupported GPU or drivers error messages.
    • Improved - Backup engine. Performs full graphic driver configuration backup and restore.
    • Improved - GPU detection system.
    • Improved - Part of system scanning process is cached in itself for faster startup next time, all by being able to detect if the executable has changed systems.
    • Improved - Help documentation updated and new look.
    • Fixed - XP showing RAM amount incorrectly.
    • Fixed - Several bug fixes.
    • Fixed - Minor UI bug fixes.
    View release notes in full

View demo of Windows Experience Index (WEI) detail benchmark: here

I hope you enjoy this software and find it useful as much I had great pleasure doing it for all of you guys, bit-tech community. I'll be hearing for feature requests, spelling/grammar mistakes and bugs that needs to be fix.

Download
    • Version: 2.1 Build 107
    • Download: Nv GPU Pro
    • Please support the project and Donate.

Last edited: 16 May 2010
    mansueto, Akava, Delphium and 2 others like this.
  2. GoodBytes

I've got a feeling I am being ignored because people think it's spam. :(

3. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

so with this software i'll be able to stop my GTX280 clocking down for 2d mode? this would be really handy as i have rivatuner profiles set to keys for power saving and when i have only one screen attached the driver and rivatuner have an argument

4. GoodBytes

Yes, that is what I did with my laptop when it's plug-in (I set PowerMizer to be disabled when plug-in). However, I on my desktop computer, PowerMizer was set as disabled by default. i never had the GPU slow down (GTX 260), so I am surprised that your does that. But you can have a look. Again, this application is safe and installation-free, it won't do anything until you press on the Apply button (your must restart the computer for the drivers to re-load and read the changes set, as it only read the settings once at startup)

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i think it may be a feature of the GTX280 but not the 260, in any case this looks very helpful, unfortunately im about 200 miles away from my pc at the moment *sob* but will try it when i get home

6. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I'd have +rep'd you but it doesn't let me. :( Says I've given too much rep to you.

7. GoodBytes

LOL! :D
    Another time perhaps.

Thanks!

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

is there anyway of the software to soft mod a geforce card into a Quadro to enable openGL in cad apps.

I know nvidia screwed us may years ago by hard locking the cards, just thinking you might know a loop hole.

9. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

This may just be ideal for a friend of mine who's having some trouble with her laptop GPU.
    I'll post here if it helps. :)

10. GoodBytes

Hmm, I'll have to look into it. However, you can install Quadro drivers with your Geforce.
    For example on my laptop I have a a Quadro NVS 160M, which is actually G92 chip. I installed the Geforce drivers, and I got a nice increase in performance in games. I had to pay a visit to laptopvideo2go.com, to download a modded ini file to make the setup think that my video card is supported and install the drivers.

Moded ini link: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/infs/185series/18568_vista64/nv_disp.inf

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

GTX260 slows down when in 2D mode..... at least it should.

nice tool, only nVidia are supported?

edit:
    i didn't know i've got an ATI gtx260 card.........
    [​IMG]

probably the new 185.66 drivers

Last edited: 9 Apr 2009
  12. GoodBytes

Yes, to trick people who wants Nvidia card, ATI called their latest video card ATI GTX 260 with the same color layout as nvidia cards.

I'll have a fix soon, which I'll PM you with a development build for you to test. I might need a segment of your registry, but I'll PM you with all the info, if I need it.

Also, I don't support any modded drivers, yet.

13. GoodBytes

Ok, little announcement here.
    My application, other tools which disable/modify PowerMizer, and manual hacks all fails with the 185 (BETA) series drivers. I'll have to dig in more deeply.

14. GoodBytes

Ok... well just to say to all.
    PowerMizer is supported in driver 185 series. I installed the same drivers 185.66 on both my laptop and desktop computer.
    On my laptop my tool still works (yes, I clean my registry to make sure there is no left overs), but on my desktop, which only had PowerMizer setting on or off, now are gone, and force to be on.

However, adding the missing keys fixed the problem.

Stay tune for the update. :)

15. GoodBytes

New version released!
    This version has a lot of changes, making it increase from version 1.0 to 1.1.

What's New? (version: 1.1 build 64)
    • New - Support for Nvidia Forceware display driver 185 series.
    • New - Support for DOX Optimized Nvidia Forceware display driver.
    • New - Ability to override Nvidia display driver to enable or disable settings.
    • New - Support for old video cards (7000 series and older).
    • Improved - Detection of supported video cards.
    • Improved - Detection of system type and operating system.
    • Fixed - Minor spelling mistakes on program and help documentation.
    • Fixed - User interface problems.

Check out the first post for the new version.

Enjoy! :D

16. giggedyguy

giggedyguy What's a Dremel?

I have nvs 160m in my latitude e6500. Crysis system detector says I should be able to run on high. Could you please tell me which geforce driver I need? nvidia drop down boxes are not very specific. I did install Dox 182.05 custom forceware (I chose performance during the installation, of course. Thanks.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2009
  17. GoodBytes

The LATEST drivers (series still in beta) are the 185 series. Today as we speak the latest beta build is the 185.68. You can download the latest build including the inf modded file to replace in the setup so that they install here: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/vista64/185.68

In reality, on Nvidia page you can pick any drivers fomr any video card, they are all the same, as Nvidia uses one driver for all video cards.
    The Quadro NVS 160M is on the G92 chip so Geforce 9000 series.
    Without any overclock, it's gaming performance is a Geforce 9300M if your GPU has GDDR2 RAM and faster if it has GDDR3. (you porbbaly have DDR3 on your graphic card liek most people with the E6500. Lat E6400 user, like myself, have DDR2 graphic memory sadly)

With overclock, the DDR2 model you can reach (especially with the Latitude E series, thanks to it's metal use used as a heatsink) to a almost Geforce 9500M. In your case you should be able to go aliitle further as your have an independent heatsink for the GPU and faster memory. (Geforce 9600M GS, maybe?)

In any case my software should support DOX optimized and the latest Nvidia build drivers.

18. giggedyguy

Thanks. Though that driver is for vista x64. I'm running xp x86. Might go with xp x64, though. Just noticed the xp drivers on the right hand side. Dox says install older physx drivers, then the new ones. Not sure why. I'm up to physx 9.09 and my geforce driver is 182.05. Not sure if I should go higher. What do you think?

I am trying to sell this laptop so that I can build a gaming computer, or at least trade it for one. Best I can find for gaming is:

SPARKLE SXS2501024D3-NM GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card and

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core on newegg. Heard people were overclocking up to 4Ghz! Not sure what motherboard should go with it. Specs on newegg are sometimes confusing.

19. GoodBytes

I have no idea, I never tested this.

You want to sell your brand new laptop, which kick ass with it's sleek design, backlit keyboard, 3 year warranty next buisness day on site service, powerful machine with descent gaming capabilities for a laptop of this size, thin profile and super long battery life?

...for a renamed Geforce 8800GT ....

GHz does not determine speed. A Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz is significantly faster then a Pentium 4 3.5GHz. Based on your choice on video card, I would seriously make sure if this is a wise choice. I mean selling your 2000$ laptop for much less and get low power desktop.

20. giggedyguy

Some arsehole on Craigslist offered to trade me a Dell d610 for this! My reply probably made him feel real stupid. :duh:

If I can run Crysis on Ultra High, then it would make sense to keep the laptop. I have to know it can tackle the games that are now coming out. Can I put an even better graphics card in this laptop??

This is a replacement system for my D830 and I was amazed at what Dell did for me. Still have 17 months left on the replacement warranty, though Dell has yet to transfer the warranty to my new system. My CPU is the T9800 and the GPU is definitely 256 ddr3 turbochaced to 512, whatever that means.

The only problem of significance (and it's a biggie to me) is the Esata port fails if data goes both ways. If I'm copying data or playing a video from an external Sata drive while downloading to the same drive, the drive glitches out and I have to restart it. I was so looking forward to a true sata connection because the speed beats the crap out of a usb connection. I also I need the sata connection to flash my xbox 360 (which I have yet to play save on time since I bought it around Christmas). This can only be done using a real sata connection.

And I have been getting erros on the main hard drive and I think it was caused from being in AHCI mode. I presume Dell installed xp AFTER turning on the AHCI mode, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to get into windows. Since I've been in ATA mode I seem to be error-free, but I need AHCI mode to take advantage of my External drive speed. And this system has the fastest drive access I've ever seen, in spite of the fact my last one was a 7200 also!

Don't know much about the video cards, just that ATA and Nvidia pull the ole switcharoo to sell lesser models just like you seem to be indicating. The Sparkle is appealing to me because is runs very cool, is noiseless and has a full Gig of DDR3 dedicated memory. It's also 256Bit vs 64bit in the Dell. I think it's the same Mhz as the NVS 160, but I'm not so good at reading specs (from CPUZ and Everest Ultimate--I have no idea how to use Rivatuner) See the reviews on Newegg for better details.
    [​IMG]
    The cpu is AMD PhenomII Quad and benchmarking tests show that, while the I7 Intel Quad cpu is faster with some things, though not by much), the Phenom performed even better running highend games, including Crysis. Now, as I understand it, the Core2 Duo does not trump the I7 Quad and if the Phenom Quad outperforms the I7, then it stands to reason that it would be even better than The Core2 Duo 2.93 that |I have now. Does that make sense?

Note: just checked CPUBenchmark.net and the Phenom performs at 3799 and ranks 25 vs the T9800 at 2295 ranking at number 61 on the list.

On second thought I like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130398

Bottom line, I could sell this for a grand and build a desktop with literally everything I could want and still have money left over. Funny thing is I only paid $250 for the original laptop this replaced!!!

Last edited: 26 Apr 2009