1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other I finished the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' books, what now?

Discussion in 'General' started by mattyh1995, 21 Oct 2012.

1. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

After reading these books, I've become very interested in the whole "Epic Fantasy" genre, can anyone recommend some good reads? And I know there's still two more to come, but they're years away :(

Alternatively, has anyone else read these books? I want to know what other people think of the way the 5th closed, with some of the big fights about to happen being postponed

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I've read them and I just love how ruthless the entire series is. I was a big fan of many characters who I thought were important, than they just off and die. There's a lot of depth and I like how there are some subtle details that hint at things that have happened or will happen. I'm very excited for the other 2 books, though I'll be waiting for a while. The only gripe I have with the book is Daenerys, I find her chapters to be somewhat uneventful and drawn out. Obviously, some have a lot that goes on, but there are some that just seem to drag on and on with unnecessary politics, though it does enforce her character and her age.

3. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Now ? You wait 'til the next volume, it should be there in 2013-14.

4. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Try the Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

The two epic books that I recommend although it is Science Fiction (which isn't that far from fantasy) is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It's more about the people than the sci-fi so it's really accessible. The other one is Dune by Frank Herbert which is really sci-fi bordering on fantasy anyway. You can't get more epic than the worms of Dune.

Scirocco likes this.
  5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Well there is always the LotR series. Though the 2nd book can be a bit loongish. Damn you Frodo and Sam!

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Personally would recommend some of the Robin Hobb books, Liveship Traders are great and I think would come under that 'heading'

7. bob_lewis

bob_lewis Lurker extraordinaire

There's always the The Wheel of Time series. That's some heavy reading for ya. :)

8. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Dam you, I was going to write this. +11111

Robert Jordans epic series is still my favourite fantasy series of all time, epicly detailed and epicly imagined. I've read the whole series at least twice fully. With the last of the series coming out in the next month or 2 and completed (compiled basically) by another author after Robert Jordans death, there's no better time to get in to it.

The conclusion promises to be, for lack of a better word, truly, classicly - EPIC! :thumb:

9. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Try Elisabeth Moon's Paksennarion & Paladin's Legacy series.

There's also Jim Butcher's Codex Alera and The Dresden Files

Codex Alera is based loosely on the Roman Empire. It was originally a bet against a Delray Online Writer’s Workshop member in which Butcher couldn't come up with a good story about a lame idea. Challenger's lame ideas were THe Lost Legion and Pokemon xD

Dresden Files is pretty much a film noir-esque magic tale. Me trying to describe it will do no justice to the series.

Then you have LE Modesitt Jr, who is pretty mcuh a legend unto himself.

10. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'm finding the wheel of time interesting but somewhat predictable. I'm currently roughly 1/2 way through the 4th book and I'll keep going with the series but some things are very predictable. I've also read the sword of truth series which is 13 or 14 books long and I'd say its similar in that it was interesting but predictable.

11. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I'm just over halfway through The Mad Ship at the moment. Was considering recomending that aswell.

I have to say though I think i read them more to see what happens next than because I enjoy the page I am on (if that makes sense).

12. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I want something on the scale of GRRM's work, and with that same sense of "there are no heroes".

And Mansueto, I feel the same about Daenarys' chapters. "I need to stay with my people", no, bugger off. You invaded them and then call them your own? If she would have gone with Quenten or by chance encountered Aegon. That, would have made some very interesting reading :D Damn you GRRM.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2012
  13. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

you didn't close the spoilers!!!!

14. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I too would recommend the wheel of time books. They get a little meh in the middle few books but then pick back up again, so it is worth persevering.

With regards to the Game of Thrones series, I tried reading it but found that it just didn't keep my attention. I must be one of the only people I know to not really have enjoyed the books.

15. Sviatoslav

Sviatoslav What's a Dremel?

I thought I was the only The Wheel of Time fan! Awesome books and probably the best fantasy world created. The Dune is my second favourite.

16. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

This Wheel of Time. I must get it! How many books are there in the series?

And Andy, The ASOIAF books are sort of the same, with the 1st being a little slow imo, but the 2nd and 3rd more than making up for it :D Then, the 4th... -.- Haha

17. PAULWARDEN

PAULWARDEN What's a Dremel?

You got that right still it was an enjoyable read all the same

18. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Bottom line is, you get to wait like the rest of us. :duh:

19. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

And I thought I was special :(

Why did GRRM have to take 5 years for the 5th book?! The 6th would probably be near completion now if he'd managed it quicker D:

20. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Malazan book of the Fallen.
    Unforgiving of the reader but very immersive and epic scale...
    Well worth the investment of time and even more ruthless with characters than grrm ever has been.

Anyone else here use goodreads? Seen a few book related threads here and I've found goodreads a great way to find good books, often based on what my favourite authors rate highly...