1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete F4DE by C4B12 | 14-05-16 (completed)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by C4B12, 12 Jul 2013.

1. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Hello again!

After months of wedding planning, moving to a new apartment, new job and everything else Im back, and this time with a casemod, usually Im working from scratch. I will hopefully learn a lot by this small project and get more modding experience.

In my opinion I've found the ultimate mini-itx case, the Cubitek Mini Cube. Ever since I installed a computer for a friend in this case I have been in love. It is clean-looking, has A LOT of space behind the motherboard for both cablemanagement and harddrives.

My idea of this casemod is to make a "stealth" mod. Everything will be black except for some small details that will be the small contrast to all the black. So I will start by taking the case in two parts and paint everything that isnt black. Then I will be installing a 240mm radiator in the front, yes you heard me, I will be making a big hole in that nice-looking frontpanel. But dont worry, I will be covering it up with one of the most awesome-looking radiator grills from Aquacomputer.

This is the hardware Im aiming for, most of it I already have.

MB: MSI Z87I
    CPU: Intel I5 4670K
    GPU: Zotac GTX 760
    RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinum
    SSD: Samsung 840 120gb
    PSU: Be-Quiet! Dark Power Pro P10 550W
    CASE: Cubitek Mini Cube

[​IMG]

Here is a overview of the motherboard.

[​IMG]

I didnt like the blue/alu caps so I made them and some other stuff black, F4DE in to black! :rock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for now. Im currently planning and measuring out where to put the radiator and window and stuff like that. But I will update as soon as possible. I hope you like it. While you wait I would really appreciate if you liked to check out my facebook-page. There you will find more updates, giveaways and other computer related stuff.

With kind regards
    Johan Nyman

Last edited: 20 Apr 2017
  2. fr0Zen

fr0Zen back i guess

nice start bro! i will be seeing more of this :)

3. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

i would rather not paint the mobo with a sharpie, it never gets that black, it becomes purple in the light :(

4. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Thank you Peter! Oh yes you will! ;)
    Well in some lights it look purple and in some lights it looks black, it looks better than those caps looked before and there wont be much light in this mod, very dark and black. :)

5. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

I like black!

6. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

So do I! :)

7. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Im very happy to announce my next sponsor, Cubitek! They are providing me with a sample of the Mini Cube.

[​IMG]

8. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Probably the best looking mITX case there is (except for the Prodigy, but that's a ATX case ;) haha)
    Looking forward to this MR Postman and congrats to the sponsors :) !

9. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

All ways a good sign when the rad is bigger then the mobo.

10. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Maybe your Prodigy looks better but then that doesnt look like a Prodigy anymore. ;)

Mr Postman lol!

Oh yes it is!

11. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Well here is some more hardware pictures. The radiator grill I talked about from Aquacomputer, one of the most cleanlooking I seen. Also love the kind of darker shade on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got the Samsung SSD yesterday, nice design on it I think. Dont have to make a cover for this one I think.

[​IMG]

Last of all, the waterblock for the GTX 460, I think I will go with this card. I already have it and it still got a lot of power so why not. Easy to upgrade if I get ahold of a 760 later. I will probably paint the acrylic piece black so it fits the theme even more.

[​IMG]

As soon as I get the case I will be updating a lot more.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2014
  12. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

I couldnt wait to do something so I painted the waterblock today. I like it, going to fit better than clear acrylic.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

13. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Installed the waterblock and backplate to the GTX 460 and took some pictures of it together with the motherboard. I love the backplate, that and the radiator grill will make a sweet contrast to all the black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some Corsair Dominator Platinum would look awesome here!

14. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Im still waiting for the Cubitek case, they are shipping it from China so I guess its gonna take a while. But I got some good news for you, two new sponsors!

Im grateful for CDON.com. They helped me with the ram, a 2x4gb kit of Corsair Dominator Platinum.

[​IMG]

Be-Quiet! also helped me with the power supply, the Dark Power Pro P10 550W.

[​IMG]

Check them out and support them and me! :)

15. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Finally!

I got the case from Cubitek. Before I start mod it I will be making a review for my website. But I have some other pictures to share with you.

I would like to start and thank all the sponsors again for making this possible.

Thank you:
    CDON.com | Be Quiet! | Cubitek | MSI

The Corsair Dominator Platinum arrived a few days ago, really nice ram.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It really fit in with the shiny backplate too!

[​IMG]

I also got the Be Quiet! Dark Pro 10 550W power supply. Really nice package with a lot of cables and extra stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for tonight... Or wait, Ill give you a sneek peak.

[​IMG]

I think some will hate that radiator grill and the contrast to the black, I love it though. It will look even better when everything is done.

I will be back with some real updates soon. Please check out Minimalistic PC for my projects and reviews. Means alot!

With kind regards
    Johan Nyman

16. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

I think the contrast between the silver grill and black case is great. I love seeing builds like this. Its a lot harder to fit so much into a tiny case. two thumbs up.

17. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Thank you. I was worried that many would think its too big contrast. But I love it and thats most important for me I guess. Small builds are funny, it is a real challenge. :)

I installed the hardware to measure out where to put different things. Everything really fit together, I cant wait to paint the bare aluminium black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you see its not a problem to fit a 240mm radiator, this one is 30mm wide but I could have a 45mm if I wanted too.

[​IMG]

Im thinking about having a 150mm tube res either to the right of the motherboard or where the back fan is mounted. About the back fan mount, its 80mm or 92mm, with a little violende I managed to fit a 120mm fan there though, doesnt look good though so Im thinking about having the res there instead.

[​IMG]

One more thing, I said that I would use regular tubing for the watercooling, I changed my mind! Im going for chromed copper tubes, 12mm. Going to look awesome together with the shiny backplate and the radiator grill.

[​IMG]

Here is my review of the case. Next thing to do is start measuring out the holes for the radiator and fans. Ill be back!

With kind regards
    Johan Nyman

18. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Oi!

Update is here! Today I made the cutout for the front fans and radiator, just some filing to do left. I really love this radiator grill!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made a shroud that will cover the power supply and pump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for tonight, Ill be back for more in a few days. I have a lot of fun stuff to share. I have many new ideas!

Stay tuned!
    Johan Nyman

19. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I like it :D

I'm currently planning to do something similar with my case to allow some fans I fitted to breathe (the rad grill).

Just plucking up the courage :D

20. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Well do it. Its awesome. :)