1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with an estate agent

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Valo, 24 May 2016.

1. Valo

Valo Minimodder

I have run into a bit of a problem with my (now ex) estate agent and I am not sure how to resolve the situation in the most timely manner.

We have had a lease from October to April. In Februrary, the bathroom floor caved in and the constructor diagnosis said that we could not live in the flat until that was resolved. The estate agent has arranged 3 weeks of hotel where we stayed. A couple of days before our stay in a hotel was up, he said he needed to extend it by another 4 weeks. As living in a hotel was not something I was paying for and was quite inconvenient compared to having an actual flat, I asked him to arrange an alternative flat. We have made a verbal agreement that I will get us an AirBnB and get reimbursed for it. After the AirBnB stay was up, he came back to us that we could not move back in for another 2 weeks (we're clocking 2 months outside of our flat now). Seeing that our lease was up soon, we have just sorted out a new lease and ended the old contract with this agency. We have received our deposit back, handed back the keys, paid any overdue charges.

Now here's the problem. We've been promised to be reimbursed for AirBnB and any council tax/utitlities bills. It's been two months now and I've been texting the agent weekly chasing him to get my money back, but he just keeps saying that the insurance company that was in charge of all the works is taking forever to process the claim.

What are my options now? I don't have much in the way of written confirmation that we will be reimbursed any of these charges, other than the text messages exchanged between us. The agent also assured us that this is something he is legally obliged to do.

My patience is running short, should I seek legal action against him? How would I go about doing that?