1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They are all stars but do we really need them?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Teelzebub, 26 Nov 2012.

?

Should we get rid of the stars rating for Project Logs?

1. Yes, nuke it immediately!

59 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. No, they're a useful indicator.

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Who cares?

35 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I can't help noticing that two modding threads / logs have commented on their star ratings having been suddenly reduced by unknown people. I’ve seen others too with ridiculously low ratings for mods where they’re doing their own manufacturing etc.

I personally believe that the star rating system is superfluous and really doesn't reflect the work the modder is doing which I think is, overall, to a very high standard. In fact the star rating is nothing more than someone's personal opinion at best, at worst it’s manipulation at, shall we say, certain times of the year.

To see it used abused in a way that is obviously to dishearten the modder is poor sportsmanship; in fact it could even be construed as cheating. After all, will people bother to look at a thread that is rated only 1 or 2 stars, particularly when compared to one that's rated 5?

So I propose that the star rating system be disabled totally. If not, at least in the modding / logs sections.

Maybe a poll could be added to see how the rest of the forum feels about this, perhaps with 3 simple choices:

1. Disable star ratings for all forums
    2. Disable star ratings for the modding forum only - so no modding or project log threads are rated at all
    3. Keep the star rating system for all the whole forum

What do you all think?

adidan and YEHBABY like this.
  2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Pretty much this, there have been loads of awesome project logs which just get rated down by unknowns for whatever reason.

HOWEVER, seeing a log with one star does make me more enticed to look at it, so that could be a sneaky advertising factor. :lol:

3. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

That's because you're warped ;) and have too much spare time on your hands, unlike most of the rest of us :p

I agree - get rid of the damn things

4. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

I think keep them but make the user doing the rating be visible,no more hiding.
    Perhaps a post requirement to stop fresh accounts voting?

Either way,I use the rep system,you get a chance to comment directly and in a positive manner.

5. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

would be nice if they were for mods only? or users over a certain amount of posts.

I use them as it points me towards mods which others think are amazing.. and generally 5 stars are perfection!

6. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Keep them but change them into pink circles.

Not bothered about gold stars, never got any at school and im brilliant, so i didnt ever need them.

YEHBABY likes this.
  7. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Can't say I've ever looked at them

8. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

How do you even use the star system:eek:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

9. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I thought the stars was the completion level!!!

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Keep them, but allow users to click on them to view who left what star rating. That will prevent the anonymous raping of some outstanding builds and mods.

Coding would be required so it'll never happen, but it would be a great solution.

However, as it will never happen, they need to go. Let people's posts do the talking.

EDIT: I just reduced this thread to a three star with a single click :hehe:

11. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Now I'm really upset :hehe: not really but it's 4 stars you should have gone to spec savers :D

12. Shirty

Someone undermined my vote.

13. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Even if they had all the development resources in the world they would never reveal who rated which build what level. Imagine the arguments and bitching that would result in, which would undoubtedly spill over on to other subforums.

14. Shirty

It'd be fun though, wouldn't it? :naughty:

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Cheers for that Teelzebub.

Things like this are a new problem as far as I know, I think it means many have joined the forum to be a bit of a PITA.

I'm choosing nuke it, seen too many top quality projects being demoted while they are work in progress & sometimes before work has even began & it would be nice if I could say I don't care but if I didn't care I wouldn't bother modding & aiming to get better & I doubt anyone else would too so I vote on this unofficial but started by the community poll to nuke it, I don't need rep bar, chufty stars or rankings to say my modding is quite nice, it's just quite nice & people on the forum let me know it. :)

I'd be OK with the rating only being available to give a rating when it's completed, that wouldn't demotivate then because most would be focusing on their next project, but I'll see my current project through, my future ones will be show & tells here though if things stay the same.

It was turning me into nemesis from resident evil & instead of saying "stars" I was saying "star trolls" while trying to hunt them down with RPG & Gatling gun, not good. :worried::lol:

Teelzebub and Shirty like this.
  16. Shirty

If it helps to bolster your enthusiasm Wayne, whilst I rarely venture into the modding and project log forums, your work is always inspiring and original, and anyone rating them at less than 5 stars is just trolling for the sake of it :)

Also, you're now eligible for an invitation to join the Presidential Candidates social club.

17. Strudul

Strudul ~

I never really paid any attention to the stars. I only half knew they existed and never used them.

With regards to project logs, it's never affected my decision to view one. I look at the ones that sound interesting to me or are on a case I am interested in. Who cares what someone else thinks.

18. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

@Waynio People who don't care or tell you it shouldn't bother you are people who don't have a horse in the race. Of course they don't care. If the staff just sits around and watches rogue users vandalizing the forums and ignore reasonable requests to fix it then they are no better than the vandals themselves.

For my part, I'm not posting anymore project logs here on BT until this is fixed. Sad it has to come to that. I recommend OCAU (Overclockers Australia). I've been posting there for nearly as long as here on BT. They have a great staff and the users are active and friendly.

Remember Waynio, you are the product that Bit-tech is selling. You have every right to be angry at what is going on here . I've got your 6.

19. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I never look at the stars, I refuse to trust other peoples judgement!

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

20. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

I purposed this in a thread about a week ago but I guess it got lost when the board updated. Kill the stars they seem to distract the modders!