1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows (Brad Mcquaid at it again)Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by asteldian, 23 Jan 2014.

1. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

Just noticed this the other day, for those that remember early EQ1, or Vanguard (which tragically never lived up to expectations) Brad is back again with another attempt at an MMO.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

I have to confess, I am a sucker for his games just because he seems to be one of the only creators who is actually interested in a more difficult, niche market type game rather than mass market.

Despite Vanguards failings (in particular its poor coding) it was still probably my favorite MMO since EQ1, so I do have a bit of an interest in this, maybe I am just a tragic optimist hoping he has learned from his mistakes

2. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I put $250 on this. I didn't like Vanguard very much, but EQ1 blew my mind. I still play it today sometimes, but it's not like how it was 15 years ago. This excites me though, I want to play another MMO that feels like a survival experience, because only EQ has been like that for me. Everything else is just a game.

3. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

Oh I loved Vanguard, I was lucky that at the time of its release my PC was brand new so despite the poor optimisation I was actually able to run the game. Gameplay wise it was definitely the best for me other than EQ1 (well, better than EQ1 due to more to do with your char, but obviously not as classic).

I threw in $100 so far. Sadly it still needs a lot more to reach its goal

4. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I think they need to aim higher, all this talking about niche and working with p99 and stuff... it's maybe not mainstream but it's not THAT niche. When I think of how many young people today love Dark Souls, Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program, that Ninja game, and WoW! It's a huge audience and I think the new generation is coming through now and is craving games like that which are challenging and different to the typical shooter or sports game.

I think it could link their generation with my generation, and maybe that could be a lot of people? But yeah.. first they have to get the word out even more somehow.

5. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I think they are just going to make the game anyway, even if they don't get the kickstarter. They might re-pitch it again sometime. But if they got that full 800,000... I am sure this game would be epic :)

6. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

They have a few plans up their sleeves I think so not reaching the goal won't be the end.
    As for aiming higher, actually if they are aiming for a small audience then it can only be good - they are making a game for the more old school mentality gamer, if it ends up being a big hit then that is great and they will be able to do a lot more come expansions, but with a small baseline they can budget accordingly which avoids the kind of scenario of way to much spent creating a game with no hope of getting the cash back

7. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Yep I think Star Citizen taught the rest of the world how to run their games business lol. And yeah you're right, keep it small and be a huge success, better than aiming too high. I assume after kickstarter ends they will move it to their own website again. We will probably have to pledge again unless some big spenders show up.

By the way, if anyone here uses kickstarter, get in and change your password because hacker nerds are on the loose again.