1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gaming Monitor Roundup 2014

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 21 Jul 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Considering how longstanding and popular Dell monitors have been with gamers I am surprised not to see a model in this round up. I would have also liked a small selection of previous monitor review results to have been included for comparison's sake (much like you have started to do with CPUs for example) as it's all very well comparing these but it doesn't help in relation to anything else.

P.S. Would the ASUS not be a close third, behind the Eizo Foris and the Iiyama’s ProLite?

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I suspect it's either because Dell don't specifically market their screens to gamers, or because nobody wanted to supply a sample, or both.

That said, my current and previous monitors have both been Dell IPS panels and I can't fault them. But I'm not a twitch gamer.

4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Nice in depth article. I'll be looking for a new monitor in a few months but need one with good viewing angles as well as the fast response times etc, as I don't have a tv my pc is used as a complete entertainment centre. I was seeing 27" IPS screens on amazon for around the £400 mark, any chance of a little roundup on some ?

5. xela333

xela333 What's a Dremel?

Problem is you cannot get IPS screens with a good response time. All the ones I have owned before have has some level of motion blur which is why I now use an Asus 120Hz screen.

6. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Ah I see, so i'd be best testing any IPS screen before handing over the money I guess. I know my tablet is IPS and i've never noticed any blur or anything whilst playing fast moving games. Anyway it'll be something to read up on over the coming months!

7. fragg3r

fragg3r What's a Dremel?

Personally, I'm very happy with my VG248QE. I calibrated it using Argyll+dispcalGUI with a DTP-94 at 118cd/m^2, 6500k, gamma 2.2 and it feels very nice and natural. Even after hours of gaming in a dark room it's pleasant and gentle on the eyes.

8. SchizoFrog

Well I am using an old (6 or 7 years) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 1680x1050 monitor and while it has served me well, the colours are now off and whites are now more of a dull beige colour. I have been thinking for a while now of upgrading to a Dell U2414H 1920x1080 and for what I want, I haven't seen much of a reason to spend the extra £80+ for a like size/res monitor. I think at the end of the day I would be happy with the upgrade and isn't that what it is all about at the end of the day?

9. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I'm using the Samsung 226CW just now which I think is almost identical to yours. The one thing that really bugs me about mine is the viewing angles, as far as I can tell my colours are still ok but my backlight went about two years ago and I had to change all the capacitors in it. Your right that if your happy with your purchase at the end of the day, then that's all that matters. And you could always run your current screen as a second monitor if you buy a new one or stick it in the loft as a spare.

10. SchizoFrog

Ha ha Dave Lister... Well I do already have a 223BW (same 22in size but slower response times) as a second monitor that I picked up cheap on Ebay a few years ago. When I upgrade (which is being timed with my eventual new gaming rig build later this year) I wish to upgrade both monitors to the same model. I'll go with the Dell U2414H unless a review shows me a better monitor under £200. Another reason for the Dell is the 6mm bezel. :)

11. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I was planning on getting a new monitor this year. My sony is at least ten years old now, and getting some really bad LCD 'screen burn'. So I was saving up and looking for a nice big high resolution panel, up until the Occulus Rift DK2 went on sale, well, it's almost the same as a monitor....

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I went from the same Samsung monitor as you to a Dell U2412M, and the difference was absolutely astounding. As Dave says, the viewing angles on the TN panels are really poor compared to a nice IPS screen, and the extra screen real estate is great for general use. However, the single biggest difference for me was the brightness and colour reproduction of the Dell compared to the Samsung - it was staggering :D My U2412M is sitting at 30% brightness and is probably still twice as bright as the 226BW at full blast. When I had the two sitting side by side, the Dell seemed far too blue at first, but that was just because the Samsung had become so yellow over time that my eyes thought that white was actually meant to look beigey yellow.

TLDR: new monitors are great, get one!

13. SchizoFrog

@bawjaws, Do you happen to know if there is much difference between the 'H' and 'M' versions apart from the res ratio? As I have my TV also hooked up via HDMI I am looking forward to matching all three screens to the same resolutions. I also haven't ever noticed that I lack enough vertical space either so I should be fine.

14. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I don't think this works the way you think it works. What are you trying to express here?

P

15. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

V-Sync drops to the next round fraction of the refresh rate. For 60Hz, the next drop is to 60/2, so 30Hz. For 120Hz, it can drop to 120/2, 120/3 and 120/4 to give 60Hz, 40Hz and 30Hz respectively?

Unless it is the 120/3 (40Hz) specifically that is the contention?

16. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

It does? News to me, and I've written software that does it.

I thought it just held off updating (by buffer-flipping, usually) the display memory until it had finished sending a frame to the monitor. That may mean that you end up with some round fraction of the monitor's refresh rate, but just as equally it may not.

In practice you end up with a fairly staggered output of frames as the ability of the graphics board to deliver frames and the ability of the DVI link to send them to the display go in and out of phase.

P

17. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Yes indeed you do end up with staggered output of the frames, however the practical output of this is that the refresh rate ends up being an integer-denominator fraction of the base refresh rate. Skipping a scan trigger of a 60Hz monitor results in an effective frequency of 30Hz. Skipping two triggers of a 120Hz monitor results in an effective 40Hz refresh rate etc.

Unless I'm getting myself completely confused on how this all works, in which case I welcome a better explanation! :)

18. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

LOL, I sense a theme here, I went from the Samsung 206BW 20" (bought in 2007) to the Dell U2412M in April last year - what a difference. Excellent monitor, very very pleased.

19. fragg3r

fragg3r What's a Dremel?

I'm no true expert on this topic either but I think you are trying to put too much information into one comment.

The monitor will run at 120, 100, 60, 30, 40, 110Hz, whatever you set it to ~ with or without Vsync.
    What happens with (GPU/driver) Vsync is as Phil said ~ it prevents the graphics card from copying the back buffer into the frame buffer until after a poll. [stripped]

//removed my own "assumptions" as the following post has a very good explanation about Vsync + double/triple-buffering
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593

Last edited: 22 Jul 2014
  20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

There appear to be quite a few differences between the U2412M and U2414H. The 2414H has USB3.0 rather than USB2.0 as found on the 2412M, and has HDMI connectivity and no DVI-D, whereas the U2412M has no HDMI but does have DVI-D. Both monitors have DP, and the U2414H also has miniDP and DP out. Can't comment on the quality of the panel in each monitor I'm afraid.

I think that the main differentiator will be what inputs you require and whether you'd prefer a 16:9 or 16:10 screen. Whichever monitor you go for will be an enormous improvement over your old faithful Sammy :D

Tags: Add Tags