Windows Windows Home Server 2011 NAS

Discussion in 'Software' started by halfinched, 28 Jan 2013.

1. halfinched

halfinched What's a Dremel?

Hey,

I've just built my first NAS and installed Windows Home Server 2011 onto an SSD. All was going fine until I tried to create the RAID array. I'm using a P8 H77-I motherboard with 4x 3TB WD Red HDDs.

I switched the HDD controller from IDE to RAID in the bios then ctrl+i to enter raid set-up. Selecting the 4 HDDs as RAID discs and then saving and exiting.

Windows then boots up a windows failed to load screen with recover windows or launch normally as an option. launch normally just stick you in a loop to the same screen and none of the recovery options seems to recover windows.

I was also led to believe that it would take awhile to configer the raid array but it seems to be done pretty quickly... so am i doing something wrong at the raid set-up stage?

Tried google and can't find any similar problems so though I'd see if you guys could shed some light on the issue.

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

RAID mode = AHCI. You installed the OS in IDE mode. The answer is pretty clear - your OS doesn't have the AHCI/RAID drivers installed, thus cannot find the OS drive. Your options is doing a reinstall of WHS with BIOS set in RAID mode or trying to do the AHCI reg hack (never tried myself, so not sure if this one is good) :
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676 (to boot, i guess you will need to switch back to IDE, do this change and switch back to RAID again).

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

If you've not installed anything or customised WHS, I'd just format and re-install with the SATA mode set to RAID to start with.

Personally I'd want something that was installed correctly if it was going to hold my files, rather than a reg hack.

4. halfinched

argh. couldnt face replying or reinstalling last night but am going for it tonight. thanks for the help.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The reg 'hack' is dead easy and works if swapping from ide to ahci, it really does save a lot of time.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it's not really a 'hack' it's just changing a setting that would normally be set correctly if was setup with the correct mode

7. halfinched

I tried the 'hack' technique but failed. So went for the reinstall. Almost there now I think. At least whs 2011 starts up and is updated with all the drivers - just have to set the raid initialising tonight (fingers crossed).