1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Places to go for a week away/weekend break

Discussion in 'General' started by Behemoth, 16 Oct 2014.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I've got a weeks holiday next month which will be the week when it's my birthday. Myself and Mrs B are planning a trip away.

We had originally planned to goto Amsterdam, but shes gotten cold feet over the idea due to the current state of affairs with ebola so thinks it a good idea to stay in the UK.

I had originally thought of some kind of city break somewhere, did think of Cardiff as we have a few friends up there and it would be nice to see them as we haven't seen our friends for ages. However I also thouh I would sooner get away from all the stress of roaming round a large city and would prefer something a big more relaxing.

We like pubs, decent food and are happy going for a queit walk for no reason, tha said walking anywhere in November weather may be a bit of a challenge.

The biggest thing for however is being able to take a total break from computers (shock !) and mobile phones. I work in a call cenre monday to friday and just to escape the stress of speaking to someone on the phone for a week would be lovely. It would also give us some time alone together one to one without her constantlyplaying rubbish games on facebook which really grinds my gears currently.

Quite happy to drive have been looking at country lodges etc in Wales etc. Don't really want to goto Cornwall as thats where I come from and if I goto Cornwall I'll be expected to go spend the time visiting people who haven't bothered to make any sort of contact with me since I've been living in Weston and have driven by my house (well the M5) on the way to Bristol.

Somewhere quite pretty with nice views, giving me an opportunity to get my camera out and actually learn to use it and experiment maybe :)

Anyway ladies and gents, answers on a post card please :)

2. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

Although you aren't mad keen on a city break York is well worth a visit.

It's a lovely city and you have access to the whole of Yorkshire to explore. It's a beautiful county with loads of walking and photography options.

I haven't been in years and only on a work visit but I really enjoyed my brief time there.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Over the last few years Mrs K and I have been to Bath, York and Lincoln for short breaks and loved all of them. We're off on another mini break next weekend for a few days to Edinburgh and are thoroughly looking forward to it - I'll report back :)

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

The Lake District is gorgeous and well worth a visit.

5. Behemoth

York does sound nice with allt he Yorkshire countryside to hand. Hadn't thought of that.

Mrs B says the choice is mine, but with that being said I want her to have a say in the matter too as at the end of the day its no fun if only one person is happy.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

How about Weston-Super-Mare?

They have a lovely pier :)

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

A little bit further to drive, but I do like our annual winter trip to Aviemore for the weekend.

Lots of nice eating and drinking places, great views and you can go up the mountains on the funicular.
    A big early in the year for snow sports, but that doesn't really matter.

8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Have you ever done Edinburgh?

Mrs G (Following your convention) is a native, so we're up there all the time and it's great.

Loads to do in and around the city, country walks, hill walks, museums, night-life, restaurants etc. Offers everything you could want from a city break, but with the added benefit of a short drive in any direction taking you into the wilds.

So while Edinburgh is a great location for a city break... it's not the place I'm going to recommend.

You want to be away from the tech, so I'm suggesting you go a bit further North so it all feels a bit more wild. We've had a couple of family holidays in the Dunkeld area. It's only another 90m North of Edinburgh but is about as 'Highlands' as you can get without driving all damn day.

Depends on your love for driving though. The roads are so much nicer in Scotland, quieter without the 'Agghhh rush rush' you get down South. Places seem further way from each other, but I'd rather drive an hour through lovely mountains than 45minutes around a city bypass.

A third option, but sticking with the Scotland theme, is to B&B it and break up the drive.

- 2 night in or around the Lakes
    - 2 nights in Edinburgh
    - 2 nights North of Edinburgh to get that true Highland feel

A fourth option, and one of my favourite places in the UK is to go to the Isle of Skye. Amazing place, amazing scenery and top-notch for photography. It's a bit of a trek north, but more than worth it if you're not tied down by kids or what not.

9. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Or the Orkney islands are also amazing - though even further North!

10. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Whenever we want to get out of Cornwall and go on a break within the UK, we tend to go to one of three locations:

Aviemore, it's an excellent place if you want a relaxing outdoor experience with plenty of places to walk and a great selection of places to eat.

Cotswolds, lots of lovely villages and scenery to explore. They often have various events going on throughout the year across the Cotswolds and it's also a great location if you enjoy cycling.

New Forest, I absolutely love going here to photograph wildlife and plenty of wide open space which makes for a great escape from all things technology. The Palance House in Beaulieu Listen (near the edge of New Forest) is also a great sight and a joy to explore the grounds.

Alternatively... If you're after a city break then I'd highly recommend Leeds.
    I always find it such a wonderful place to visit that's full of life and lots of things to do. The interactive museums are a blast for family activities and there's a number of theatres and entertainment venues across the area.

11. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Dorset, isle of Purbeck Kimmeridge which is a marine reserve and charmouth bay where you can hack at the cliff edge for fossils, amazing place I have some great fossils one being over a foot long

12. Behemoth

Cheeky get ! ;)

Pier in Weston is nice but it costs £1.00 per person to get on these days.

WIll run these suggestions by Mrs B and see what she thinks.

Although I suspect Scotland may be a bit too far, but we shall see :)

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

If you're thinking Wales, why not try Llandeilo? Nice town, nice amenities.
    Western edge of the Brecon Beacons with plenty of landscapes and castles as well as the Red Kite Centre; close to the National Botanical Garden of Wales and Aberglasney Gardens. Within driving distance of Pendine and the Gower coasts. Depending on how long you were staying, Cardiff is only really 90 minutes or so away.

I may be slightly biased, though, as it's on my doorstep - but it is closer than Scotland! ;)

14. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

What about the Derbyshire's Peak District? Good views above ground, lot's of caverns to visit below ground, plenty of pubs and its only a stones throw away from Manchester and Sheffield.

15. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

Skye is a beautiful island and has a bridge so easy to get to.

However, ebola while a concern internationally is worrying a bit too much.

I'm just back from Budapest today. A wonderful city and your money goes far there. Much further than it will in Amsterdam.

If I start showing symptoms around 10 days from now I'll let you know.

16. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Late to the party, but Jersey is a lovely spot for a few days away! Beaches, sea, cliffs, relaxation, that sort of thing, plus some good food!

17. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I would leave the wife home and go with a mate to Amsterdam. Just sayin :p

18. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

It's pure scaremongering by the news about catching Ebola, if you were planning a break in certain African states I might re-think it, but within the EU the risk is the same as staying in the UK.

19. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

A November holiday in Blighty, or Ebola. Hmm, that's a tough one...

20. Behemoth

Holiday is booked now, so long as its not cancelled by the people we've booked it with.

We ended up settling for the Isle of Wight in the end, it's somewhere she'd like to go, I;'ve never been. We've found a nice self catering cottage for a week.

Now it's booked really looking forward to just switching off for a week. Really getting fed up at work at the moment and its just nice to have something good to think about instead of always thinking about work.