1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL The Valuable Tips Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 15 Sep 2013.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I thought it was time to start a thread, particularly in the difficult economic times, with tips to save money or even time perhaps?

I would like to kick things off with this tip. We all know that the price of sending letters via Royal Mail has become quite expensive. My tip is, write your letter a day or two earlier and then you can send it second class.

Over to you folks.

2. RTT

RTT #parp

Save money on toilet paper by only crapping at work

Stand closer to the object you wish to observe rather than shelling out on expensive binoculars

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

www.moneysavingexpert.com is my tip - I'm sure over the years it has saved me thousands on everything from credit cards to insurance etc

Edit: Plus I like the idea RTT - would make for a loooong weekend for a lot of people though...

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Excellent tips though those workers who only work a 5 day week might have to suffer some discomfort over the weekend.

And the tip on standing closer rather than buying binoculars, if only I had thought of that.Doh.

5. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

here you go its a bit long but some ideas are fantastic

[​IMG]

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

A bit long is a tad understated Shaid. lol

7. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Well you asked for tips so I thought id give you them all at once

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Some good one as well I might add.

9. defined

defined Botch-Job

some epic tips there, definitely going to start using toilet roll tubes in my man-draw to store them messy wires

10. Yariko

Yariko What's a Dremel?

Don't take debt or credit :hehe:

...and stay healthy.

11. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

From the top of my mind...

1. Work your backside off in school

2. Always look for the deals and buy in bulk

3. If you want something, instead of buying straight out think on it for about a week if you still want/need it buy it.

4. Always wrap your junk before else babies are made. (don't believe for a second any female that claims she can't have babies its a freaking trap.

5. When bringing random girls home always have a safe with your crap in.

6. When meeting random chicks always meet in a public place in case it happens to be Big Mike instead. (serious)

7. Never ever send chicks you've never met money (idiots do this on catfish and 9 times out of 10 they are either completely different or the size of a whale.

8. In life get a job as soon as possible and save as much as possible while your still living at home.

9. When you've met a nice girl who'm you think is the one look at how tidy her room is, is it clean? do you want to live like a pig for the rest of your life?

12. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Good tips dude. It sounds like you've had bad luck with 'random' girls you bring home :hehe:
    But I'm kinda lucky that my missus is a clean-freak. Not so clean that she's OCD though; it's a nice balance. I never got a decent job while I was living at home; I could never get a job living in the middle of ******* nowhere.

13. monteur

monteur What's a Dremel?

didn't Evolutionsic have that epic thread about inviting a girl over to his place?
    love the idea of this thread!

Last edited: 15 Sep 2013
  14. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Have a big freezer.

Go to the Supermarket about an hour before closing on a fairly regular basis.

Buy in bulk any food you might like at some point that a) is heavily reduced because it has today's date on it and b) is suitable for home freezing.

Also if you have things you buy regularly that have a long or no date on them, have a big organised box/cupboard and buy in bulk when they are reduced.

Not good for saving time or space and kinda obvious, but you can save a decent mount of money on your food bill and regular purchases just by having a reasonable stockpile of stuff bought at the right time and stored well.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2013
  15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

This thread started as a laugh but some good tips are surfacing, well done.

16. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Instead of spending lots of money on a car, consider buying a ride-on mower and detach the mowing equiptment.

17. monteur

monteur What's a Dremel?

i smell troll

18. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Regarding buying in bulk.

When you get to your last 24% of your (rice etc) start looking for your next lot.

Bulk buying deals tend to be quite time specific so it's worth waiting for the better deal some times. L

19. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

Bulk buying can be good, but keep a check on how much cheaper stuff is (sometimes its not as much as you first think espically when you consider stuff that regularly comes up on special offers). An only bulk buy things that you use regulary and never buy more than 12 months supplly of anything (as it'll likly end up getting wasted or some cheaper or better) alternative coming along.

A Big freezer is a mixed blessing, Things are only a good deal or save you money if you actully use them! make sure anything you put in your freezer is sutibly packaged, (e.g.there no point in freezing a dozen beef burger in a massive block is you only eat two at a time it just leads to wastage). Remeber no one wants to eat some thing thats mostly snow / freezer burn and label stuff as if you can't tell what it is you'll never eat it. If you have a really big / chest freezer keep a list of whats in it stuck to the door so you can plan what to use next.

If you have bills / insurance that can be paid in advance rather than monthly it may pay you to do so, for example if you pay your BT line rental a year in advance you save £30+ over the year, insurance can be a a lot cheaper this way too. Then just work out how much it is per month and put that much money into a dedicated bills savings account each month and next time the bill comes round you should have enough (or nearly enough if the price goes up) to cover it.

Lastly and this takes a bit more planning and dedicating then other stuff, meal plans if you plan your meals for the week in advance and only buy the stuff you need when you go shopping you can make the best use of the stuff you already have and cut down on your shopping bills and your food wasteage.

20. RTT

RTT #parp

Save a fortune on expensive carpets by cutting two squares of carpet the the size of your feet, and tie them to your feet to have that luxurious carpet feeling wherever you go in the house.