1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft extends Windows 8.1 support deadline

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 May 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

This is why I don't see Microsoft's faster update cycle working out.

If it takes them 6 months to get each new update working, by which time they a trying to push the next "mandatory" update, people are going to get fed up with the constant headaches pretty fast. I don't see people, especially in the corporate world where they make most of their money, being willing to deal with the headache of a major upgrade and all the attendant problems on a much more regular basis.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

From what Satya Nadella keeps saying, and rumors point to the same thing. It wont matter in 2-3 years as Microsoft shifts to their mobile-first and cloud-first strategy, my guess is Windows 9 will be the last OS that needs updates.

From Windows 10 onwards Microsoft OS's will be cloud based.
    The update process can then be controlled by Microsoft with the odd occasional small updates issued to clients, the majority of the OS updates could then be tested before going live on public servers.

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Think it's time for me to try Linux.