1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Good overclocking PCI grafix card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tim S, 3 Dec 2001.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

Anyone got any ideas for a reasonably cheap, pci grafix card that will be able to be run on an overclocked PCI bus... I've got a permedia 2 (with 4 megs of ram... phwoar!!!) but it doesnt like me or my computer or windows 2000 or windows XP... I think it just hates me in general :mad:

Its to run my new second monitor, (10" diddy thing, Ill post pics later this week)

The problem I have at the moment is the fact that when I use the extended desktop onto this monitor, the computer decides that it doesnt like me, and just locks :confused: I have taken the card out and it all runs cocha (apart from I'm back to one monitor again) The PCI bus is only at 34Mhz too, so I am a bit confused on that... I am guessing its something to do with the drivers, but they are included as standard in windows, and there are no updated ones.

As far as a new card, I was looking towards a Voodoo 4 PCI, simply because I have a passion for 3DFX cards, ever since I had my dual voodoo 2's :D

Does anyone know if this is fairly good with PCI bus overclocks, I would imagine the 3DFX drivers are stable too, as I've never had a problem with them before.

Has anyone got any other suggestions as far as a second graphics card?

I heard there are conflicts with a so called Dual NVidia setup, as they try to access the same drivers at the same time or something like that...

The max for my spend is gonna have to be set to £100, maybe less, it depends at the time. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D

Cheers

Biggie

Last edited: 4 Dec 2001
  2. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

The best PCI graphics cards are the Creative Gf2 MX and the Voodoo 5500 PCI......of these the Voodoo will be the best, but it wont be so future proof (no new drivers) and they are hard to find nowadays

:)

3. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Permedia 2 nooooooo...... I had one of them evil rubbish.

As for an overclockerable PCI gfx card I would get a V5500 if you cant get a PC one you could always get a Mac one and reflash it with a PC bios.

4. RTT

RTT #parp

i want one of those 10"/12" monitors, coz i have spare 4mb s3 PCI card, and i want to run MSNM or ICQ on it or something

i heard they were cheap too :cool:

know where i can find one?

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

I got it from a computer fair, for £39....

You wanna go have a look around the fairs near you.... I have seen them on the net, but for about $400 (no joke)

All I use it for is MSN, ICQ, AIM (well I use trillian to combine them all) Winamp, ZoneAlarm, MBM, etc

There will be pics up sometime either later, or tomorrow I guess, I am just about to go and return the camera to my mate, who will upload them for me :D

Cheers,

Biggie

6. RTT

RTT #parp

i aint been to a fayre for like over a year now :eek:

40 sounds reasonable? they good quality then?

7. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Im gonna use a 4.3" Svideo TFT screen for Winamp and MMB :D lcds?!?!?!? bah....

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

The quality isnt bad, it does 800x600 @ 60Hz, but the refresh rate doesnt matter too much as you are not lQQking at it for more than a few minutes at a time... plus when I use it for watching simpsons episodes, you dont see the flicker...

It came with a nice stand, that makes it eye level to look at... :D

It looks better than an LCD, but I'm gonna have to get an LCD too, just cos I am into gadgets on my desk :D

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

As far as the grafix card, I've found something that doesnt seem to bad an idea....

ATi All-in Wonder 16Mb PCI card, for.... wait for it...... £22.33 inc vat, postage will be about £5, and then I've got more than just a grafix card in the deal there :D

Biggie

10. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

I'm looking to get a Matrox G450 DH PCI for my secondry card, so I can triple-head. :D At present, I use a Diamond Fire GL1000 Pro as my secondary card, and that's coped with 41.6MHz PCI speeds no probs. Brilliant card...had it for years.

11. SuperScrubber

SuperScrubber Mad Chemist.....buwahahaa

PCI Voodoo 3's are also popular choices for second monitors, picked one up for £20 the other day - just need a second monitor now !!!
    Anyone know where I can get a cheap/free 17"'er? :D:D

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

Try www.monitorsdirectUK.com they sell off factory refurbs, you may be able to pick up a Dell 17" Trinitron (Sony tube) for about £120

Hope this helps

Biggie

13. SuperScrubber

SuperScrubber Mad Chemist.....buwahahaa

HHHmmmm still quite a lot though ............, place looks similar to digi-uk or whatever its called that does actual sony refurbs ........

Any ideas how I could scab an old(ish) monitor for almost free though .......... dont have £100+ free at the mo !!

Cheers

14. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Try finding a monitor that's "died", and repair it. More often than not the problem comes down to a break in the cable, or dry joints in the socket's mounting, and these are easily fixed. I'm working on a 17" at the moment, and if I fix it, total cost for a reasonable 17" with hitachi tube will have been £14.99 (for the new cable). Of course, you have to have some aptitude for electronics and soldering. I just fixed a Razer Boomslang 2000 similarly.

Tags: