1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google Reader closing today

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 1 Jul 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

I made a very smooth transition to Feedly and I'm using gReader in my smartphone, to cover my offline reading needs.
    IMHO, Feedly did a very good job and is the winner of this whole process: All you need to is login with your Google account and the migration is done automatically. Do it today, because afterwards it Google Reader is no more!

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Care not.

Have never used RSS.

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Listen was an awesome app and syncing to Reader was great, I have not found replacements that work half as well as Listen which was a masterpiece in simplicity for podcasts, one of a number of things that feel wrong with Android you notice when moving from 2.3 to 4.2, no wonder people stay on old versions.

Can you still sync feeds somewhere using my google account?

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

kthxbye

6. Icy EyeG

I've always wondered how people that don't use RSS keep themselves from visiting hundreds of websites everyday. Because that's what would happen to me if I didn't use RSS.

No, if you want to sync feeds, you have to use Feedly or Newsblur. There's also The Old Reader, and Digg Reader, but they are still testing, particularly the latter is still very incomplete. All of these will Provide an API for apps to use just like Google Reader did.
    gReader Pro (syncs to Feedly or The Old Reader atm) has some podcast features, but I'm sure that many podcast apps will start using syncing as well.

7. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

;)

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Because I'm not a captain of industry, politician, international journalist or other person who actually needs to be kept informed of what's going on in microscopic detail.

And neither are you.

All this "feed" drivel is about self-importance, not information.

9. Icy EyeG

Wat? I only use a RSS reader because it's a lot faster to keep track of my favorite sites and blogs, and I read most of it in the train or at lunch.
    It has decreased my internet usage time dramatically, and I needed that because of college. It's that simple.

10. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Since no one can absorb all of the news produced in one day from every source, RSS feeds are about allowing you to follow specific sources that are of particular interest to you. It lets you see only the articles that are new and unread, allowing you to either read or skip over the new articles. It's about being more productive with your news reading and saving time that could be used somewhere else (reading on the train/at breakfast/over coffee comes to mind).

Also, some of us *do* need to be kept informed of what's going on, sometimes in microscopic detail as part of our jobs. Don't make assumptions about the readership of this site based on your own experience.

11. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Erm. OK, cool, you're entitled to smack-down anyone who uses RSS.

But personally, I used Googles' Reader daily, mostly several times per day in fact, to sift through many hundreds of news stories from 100+ websites including this one.

Please note, I have not judged you and your online habits in this post. Go figure.

(Edit) actually it is more like 70-80 sites if I think about it. I've never counted them all though.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

But some people are one or more of the above, y'know - and unless you know of their life in greater detail than afforded by occasional forum contact via a nom de plume, you have no easy way of knowing who they might be. Just because you don't need something, doesn't mean it isn't needed; I don't need a dialysis machine, but I'm not going to decry their usefulness.

13. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I feel like I've lost an arm. Can't be bothered to visit all the sites to see what their latest news is, or even worse, to visit them and find out there is no news ... gutted.

14. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Feedly has made a more than adequate replacement on my phone

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Tags: Add Tags