1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor NUC'esq Device for 4K display support

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burnout21, 12 Aug 2016.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Evening peeps,

So several weeks back, we purchased a rather nice Samsung JU6500 49in 4K TV, and after about 2 weeks I realised this lovely new display has yet to display a desktop of usefulness!

So I had a dig around and dug out my displayport to HDMI converter and cable, fumbled around behind the TV like a teenage virgin on prom night to eventually find the hole and shriek in delight.

Hurrying back to my Thinkpad X220, eagerly awaiting to fire up and present my linux logon to appear on 49 inches of 4K beauty..

Only nothing, zip and nada. Rattled around the settings to come to the conclusion that the pixel clock of the intel HD 3000 isn't capable of supporting the 3840 × 2160 resolution. BOO!

So for the last week or so, i've been hunting down expresscard to PCI-E devices like the PE4H, and looking into compatibility of the IBM 2503 dock with the X220. Either way I could end up sinking serious cash into a cobbled together hack that would work (ish).

So this evening I started looking for an off the shelf barebones solution like the NUC and Brix's series of computers.

Main usage is photo editing/reviewing and nothing more. We head out fairly often with twin DSLR's, and walking in to just pop an SD card into the machine under the TV to review the photo's from the sofa would be a real treat.

If I had all the money I would just get a Intel NUC NUC6i7KYK3 "Skull canyon" because all the sleekness, but I am wary of the cost and total usage this device would get, be it's likely 10 year potential service life.

I have also recently been looking at the Yi 4K action camera/GoPro Hero 4 Black, so there is another future potential for video editing.

So thoughts here or on a postcard please.

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I'd like 4K@60, so even a basic i3 NUC with displayport mini should do the task, hmmmmm.

http://www.ebuyer.com/747251-gigabyte-brix-intel-core-i3-6100u-2-3ghz-hdmi-barebone-gb-bsi3-6100

Code:
    Snip from ARK

i3-6100U

max resolution DP = 4096x2304@60Hz
    I think I am on the right road now, cheers!

4. faugusztin

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Aye, I did just think about that. Effectively I would be using a DP output to HDMI input on the TV, so the weakest link will be the converter.

You've been a great help!

6. faugusztin

Other adapters can do only 4k30 sadly, so even if you would want something better, there is nothing better than that (outside of newer GPUs having native HDMI 2.0 output).