1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 470 + 480 Vs. ATI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Taufires, 2 Apr 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taufires

Taufires The Young 'un

Okay, So we all know that the new long awaited nVidia high end graphic cards are out now. When I saw them advertised on Scan I thought "Cool", then soon as I saw the price I thought "not so cool" :jawdrop: So immediately I went to find out what exactly justifies nvidia charging this stupid amount of money which is enough for a decent(ish) complete build!

So this is how it is: :D

nvidia GTX 470 = £299.99
    nvidia GTX 480 = £428.99

These graphics cards are the cheapest I could find pretty much and as you can see, theya re bloody expensive!

So I went and took a look at the competing ATI high spec range:

Asus 5850 = £224
    ATI 5870 = £317
    MSI 5970 = £562

There is also other factors to take into consideration, because the 400 range uses a lot of power and outputs a lot of heat, which is never good. But is the Fermi technology and new tessellation features worth this?

I have some benchmarks HERE

So do you think that the price is worth it, or do you think that we should stick it with ATI until the prices go down? Tell us what you think guys. :D

Peace,
    Dan

:thumb:

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The only reason you'd go with ATi now is the fact that your PC won't cook up too much. It's a fact that the GTX4xx series are indeed faster than the HD5xxx but they're not faster by much anyways.

3. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Elton "Nvidia fanboi - Flaming in the wind of a gtx480 cooler" has spoken!

If you consider heat, noise, driver maturity and bang-for-buck; you would not, in all seriousness, touch the 470/480 with a barge pole. What's more given these two are six months late to the party means Ati are 6 months ahead. This should mean that Ati are able to refresh their whole range during the summer; while Nvidia are still launching 5770 and 5830 equivalents* and actually move on to their next gen cards in September/October ...putting Nvidia a whole generation behind.

*check the web: this Nvidia design is so fubar, apparently, that they can't make an x2 type card to take top dog place and anything less than a 470 is/will be so obviously a 'reject' type of chip, that no well read amature will touch 'em! Nvidia is about get v.close with Dell et al!

4. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

:hehe:

the current ATI re-fresh is sooooo close reviews are floating around about the 5850 2 gig and the 5870 2gig 6eye, ATI has also given the makers free rain, the 5870 toxic OC'd is almost out (2 gig i think) for the same price as stock.

Best advice give it a month or 2 when the dust has settled then make a choice

5. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

a bit harsh - yes the 470 does outperform the 5850, and the 480 does outpace the 5870, but they cost so much that you end up in the diminishing returns section.

when the 470 costs as much as the 5870 it will get creamed in the benchmarks, and tbh, all the talk about tesellation is a red herring - the fermi cards can do tesellation OR rendering - not both, unlike the radeons which have a dedicated tesellator. It might be slightly slower, but it doesnt suck up rendering power.

6. trig

trig god's little mistake

try looking at some other threads. if you still cant figure it out for urself, then post a thread like this and we'll do our best to use small words so you can understand. fermi is fail. absolutely no reason to consider at all.

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Trig has it right. Fermi is fail. I feel truly sorry for anyone who waited 6 months for that crap.

8. The Toy

The Toy The Ticking Time-Bomb

Well, 470 & 480 are fail at this price, yeah, but we will surely see a really nice Fermi card at some point.

There is a lot of refining to be done, but a decent version might pop up at some point.

9. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

I agree that fermi is a fail in the current incarnation , i'm dissapointed to be honest , not that i'm tempted to buy another ATI card though , i've just never got on with the awful catalyst control panel , so i'm quite happy to carry on with my gtx260 until nvidia get a decent Fermi out....

10. The Toy

The Toy The Ticking Time-Bomb

Really? I mean REALLY really?

I mean I look around this site as a total noob, overwhelmed by everyones seemingly impressive knowledge of hardware and crazed obsession with meticulously overclocking their expensive and complex computer parts, and yet everyone seems to be unable to work a very basic and simple ATI control panel?

I only just completed my first ever build last month and have nothing to compare catalyst with as I have no experience with anything else, but I had absolutely no trouble with it at all. It all seemed pretty straightforward despite me being a total tech scaredy-cat.

So is it really just the contol panel that is putting you off ATI? :confused:

Bit-tech. So full of contradictions!

11. KeTZz

KeTZz Minimodder

I've been thinking about a new card so i waited to see what nvidia do mainly because i've never had a nvidia card before and thought i would give them a try but now looking at it i think not :(

A few questions tho do's anyone think there will be a price drop on the 5000 seires soon ? will ATI do another card like thay did with the 4890 ? and is it worth an upgrade from my 4890 just for dx11 ? ( i can play all my games max with a few tweaks anyway )
    Sorry for the hijack but didn't want to start a new thread as there's enough ati nvidia threads as it is lol

12. Taufires

Taufires The Young 'un

Well to be honest I wouldnt bother. I'm also running with the 4890 and yes it can play anything and everything pretty much. So I dont think £300 - £500 is worth DX11 and a few unnoticable FPS. I would wait and see what a few months have to offer with the prices.

Another factor guys I forgot to mention was of ATI and nVidias Support. ATI's support is meant to be SHOCKING whereas nVidias is meant to be quite good, if not decent. :D

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

going from GTX260 to 5870 (before Fermi's release), on software features and its performance, i personally think GTX470 is worth it compared half-way between 5850 and 5870.

14. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

I'm quite happy waiting to see what the 5870 2Gig offer. More interested in the CPU mobo market at the mo

15. wst

wst Minimodder

I for one love Catalyst. But I have had to set up a GPU on Linux, so Catalyst is kinda... a retarded monkey can use it.

The Toy likes this.
  16. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

You can actually get the 5870 for £295 with dirt 2 now :)

17. Taufires

Taufires The Young 'un

Thats a decent price, but remember Dirt 2 is for promotion. It's not as if your getting COD6 or Crysis "free". :p

Yeah I cant wait to see the 2 gig 4870 either, but it all comes down to price. I wouldn't be surprised if it will cost £400-£500. Ah well :sigh:

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Eyefinity 2GB costs that much....... there's a Sapphire 2GB also costing clost to £400.

unlike 512MB 4870, 1GB is enough for today's games, unless you want 3 screen Eyefinity with 8xAA, 1GB is more than enough for all single monitor gaming for a while to come.

19. Daytona178

Daytona178 What's a Dremel?

The GTX 470/480 are just offering too little price/performance to be worth considering in my opinion, well i suppose it also depends on how much you want CUDA for decent folding results ;)

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Whoa whoa whoa! :read:

I'm sure I didn't suggest to him to get the GTX480, I conceded that the GTX4xx were somewhat faster, but the heat and the cost outset that.

Never did I tell him to get a GTX4xx, in fact if you were to read, I said get the HD5xxx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.