1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £500 Futureproof (lulz) Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Komus, 7 Jun 2010.

1. Komus

Komus What's a Dremel?

Howdy folks!

Looking to upgrade my gaming rig (CPU, Mobo, RAM, GPU) for around £500 (~100). I've sat for days in work ;) doing my research but I'm at a loss. I'm looking for a setup that will give me 3 years of acceptable performance. My current system off the top of my head:

Thermaltake Tsunami case (£30 for unscrupulous shoppers at one point :worried:)
    Athlon 4200+
    ASUS M2N32-WS Pro AM2
    4gb DDR2 GEIL 8500
    Radeon 4850
    OCZ SXS 600
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1tb

I've been looking at Overclockers' pre-OC bundles:
    i3: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-035-OB
    i5: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-023-OB
    I know it's a cop-out but that warranty is alluring...

However as mentioned futureproofing is a concern, and these would leave me strapped for cash in the GPU department. I've read that Athlon solutions may be the way to go, but I missed the 6600 train and I'm still not over it! So I'm biting the bullet and asking for some expert advice (other than "OC it yourself you nab" - I am happy to do this myself).

I thank you for your time and expertise.

2. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

The warranty is good thing and they are all good parts i think you would need a 5850 to see a major improvement in gaming performance but day to day the i5 750 will really make a difference

3. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

This motherboard bundle seems to offer great value for money at only £250. That should then leave you enough to get a better heatsink & possibly a 5850 if you shop around. That would be a perfectly fine upgrade in my opinion.