1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Reccomend me some headphones/headset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tigernos, 22 Nov 2012.

1. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

As per the title. I'm looking to get a decent set of headphones, sub £100 I'd say as I don't wanna go too crazy, although if I can get mega-awesome over mediocre for an extra few notes then I might be persuaded.

My priorities are sound quality (strange that) having an attached mic isn't a big issue ill just buy a desk mic, other than that I'm easy :)

2. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

Last edited: 22 Nov 2012
  3. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

The choices above are great, perhaps not suited to gaming though if that's a focus for you?

I'd say the HD558 if it comes in your budget second hand. Audiophiles tend to baby their stuff a lot so used headphones are a great source of awesomeness.

4. Tigernos

Yeah gaming is a big thing but I watch films and all sorts on my computer so it's a mix really. What's the difference? Will using a "music" oriented set be a bad thing for games or vice versa?

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Asus Vulcan headset is best gamer headset if its critical.

If you don't need the mic you can find some nice headsets for your budget with top end sound
    Hd500 series is in budget if you go second hand and sounds awesome to boot.

6. Tigernos

I see people talking about "get a nice set of sennheisers" all the time. They any good?

7. suragh

suragh Derp

Don't go for the 300 range, personally they make my ears throb after 5 minutes of using them (they aren't as flexible as you might think) other than that the sound quality from sennheiser products are immense. :thumb:

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Get a mic. A desk mic is so crap and cumbersome and many mics are now removable (eg, the ASUS Vulcan)

9. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

10. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Any good headphone will be fine for music and gaming, but you can do so much better than "fine" tbh :)

Headphones great for music will usually give you a very cinematic gaming experience, but may fall short in key areas. For gaming not just any cans will do, you want those that have a larger soundstage and better sound projection/directional audio. This makes a large difference in FPS games, where you can hear very precisely where the enemy is based on sound alone. Also look out for detail, clarity, perhaps bass based on preference so you can pick out sound cues.

On the other hand headphones that are amazing in games will also be good for music, unless you have very specific and refined music tastes.

Of the Sennheiser models, I am only familiar with the high end ones. I can vouch for the HD555, HD558 and more expensive ones. If you can find them within your budget then go for it. These have quite a wide soundstage and great directional audio, plus are detailed enough. They are open headphones.

Another type of headphone that suits gaming is the bass heavy Beyerdynamic DT770 series. They are closed, isolate sound better, and have better bass than the Sennheisers mentioned. But they don't have the soundstage size as the Sennheisers.

Just a few options :)

11. icemanTM

icemanTM What's a Dremel?

LOgitech G35 is a great option if ure into surround gaming :)

12. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

They aren't bad for gaming in any way, I use them for gaming. People usually categorize headphones as good/bad for a specific task based on if the headphones are open backed or closed backed. Open back headphones having a better soundstage but little to no noise isolation and closed back headphones having good noise isolation but less soundstage.

The headphones I suggested have a very open soundstage for closed back headphones, making them an ideal choice if you need noise isolation without compromising the soundstage.

13. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

14. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Another vote for the AKGs i have those and a clip on mic. i find it better than any combined headset ive used and ive been using plantronics Logitech etc for years