1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DRIP snooping bill passes with massive majority vote

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Jul 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

See democracy works :worried: sure glad they are exempt wouldn't want a record of them embezzling money in expenses now would we.

GaryP likes this.
  3. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

You are FREE to do what we tell you.

Bill Hicks was right.

Teelzebub likes this.
  4. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

It's the end of the wold as we know it.......

This is the "Free" world we live in!

Oh damn I forgot they might be checking this thread, I'm finished!! :worried::worried:

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

"We're all in this together"

Yeah, OK.

6. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Watching Jim Killock's Twitter feed yesterday was both eye opening and depressing at the same time:

https://twitter.com/jimkillock

Anyway I've signed up to ORG; it seems like they need all the help they can get.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Just wanted to add: When the politicians said this doesn't change any existing laws, introduce new laws, or any new powers, they are lying.

It does introduce changes and new powers.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep.

9. Teelzebub

What ! politicians lying to the people? when did this happen they used to be so honest :worried:

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

When all the main parties agree on something it's pretty much guaranteed to be a bad idea/thing...

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Aw man, now I don't know who to believe anymore! :waah:

:p

12. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Wish I could turn up to as few important meetings MPs do.

13. Teelzebub

You can you just won't get paid unlike them

14. Teelzebub

I can see how they would agree to being exempt

You can believe me I'm the devil as honest as hell is hot :D

Last edited: 17 Jul 2014
  15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Drip bill could put data at greater risk, warns (ISC)²

I have to admit it never occurred to me that storing personal details on everyone may actually open us all up to hackers, seems obvious when you think about it.

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240224731/Drip-bill-could-put-data-at-greater-risk-warns-ISC2
    Are our personal details going to be stored with all this meta data ? My guess is our E-mail address will be part of it, but what about our RL address, banking details, DOB.

Who is responsible if there is a security breach ? Is the government going to say it's the communications providers responsibility, what legal redress is there if something bad does happen ?

16. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

... Ship. I completely forgot about that side of things when I read about this!

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The data has already been spread far beyond communications providers and law enforcement anyway, apparently under the old law even Councils could get the data without justifying their need for it...

Just have a read through the following quote where some Politician tries to claim the new law is better than the old one and what he accidentally admits to:

http://johnleechmp.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/data-retention-drip-bill/

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

We really are doom ain't we, even the politicians actually believe this bill contains no new powers :duh:

The link Anfield provided to a blog post by John Leech MP just goes to show how uninformed they are, he says "This Bill is about retaining existing powers by clarifying the definition, not creating new ones and it is for these reasons I voted for the Bill."

Then what would he class extending the bill to included companies outside the UK, and that it now also extends the definition of “telecommunications service” to include things like web mail, and who knows what else.

He even goes on to say that it's compliant with ECHR, even though the UN commissioner criticised it, saying it will not address key privacy concerns raised by the European court of justice.

What gets me is they say it needs to be rushed through parliament because of the summer recess, IDK about you but if there's an emergency in my job we are expected to work overtime to deal with it, if this is such an emergency why aren't politicians ?

19. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Back in the good ol' days if people with money wanted our data they would just approach a person with access to it and the headlines the next day would read:

"Government laptop lost on tube, contains everything!!"

Did we really need our noses push in it, then slapped round the face, then kicked in the balls with this bill?

(Note: haven't read article, but did read headline and comments after!)

20. Teelzebub

I'll leave this here

Open Rights Group

We’re not done yet.

Parliament has a done a terrible thing. They’ve ignored a court judgment and shoved complex law through a legislative mincer in just three days.

But in doing so they won’t have had the final word. You’re already shown them the growing public opposition to mass surveillance. There was incredible action from supporters: 4458 of you wrote to your MPs with even more phoning up on the day of the vote. Together we helped 49 MPs rebel against the Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Bill. It may have passed, but thanks to you they know that we do not agree.

Help us challenge DRIP: Join now

Whilst Parliament swallowed Theresa May’s tired arguments that “terrorist plots will go undetected” and “these are powers and capabilities that exist today", she failed to make a compelling argument that holding everyone’s data is necessary and proportionate. Frankly, the Government was evasive and duplicitous, and they were in a hurry to cover their tracks.

Tom Watson MP described the process as “democratic banditry, resonant of a rogue state. The people who put this shady deal together should be ashamed.”
    And the European Court’s decision was very clear: blanket data retention is unlawful and violates the right to privacy.

The courts will have the final say on whether DRIP breaches human rights. And no matter what David Cameron believes, the UK has international obligations. The European Convention of Human Rights, the European Charter of Fundamental Rights and our own Human Rights Act – all exist to defend are rights and are where we will be able to challenge DRIP.

And that’s what we will do.

The ECJ has stated once that blanket data retention is unlawful. This means we have strong grounds to challenge the new legislation on the same basis. That’s where we need you. We can initiate legal action with your help: please join ORG today.

https://www.openrightsgroup.org/join

We’re already meeting with top lawyers and taking Counsel’s advice to work out the best way to take the Government to court. But a major legal battle like this is going to be tough. The more resources we have, the more we’ll be able to do to stand up to DRIP.

I appreciate all our supporters do to stand up for human rights. Together we won against the Snoopers' Charter and against ACTA. Right now joining ORG is a way to ensure we can win again against DRIP.

https://www.openrightsgroup.org/join

Sincerely,

Jim Killock

References

Theresa May speaking to the home affairs select committee on data retention:
    http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-data-law-surveillance-bill-rushed-parliament

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ws-clear-Commons-despite-angry-exchanges.html

Tom Watson MP speaking in the House of Commons on the Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Bill:
    http://www.publications.parliament....140715/debtext/140715-0001.htm#14071546000485