1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows If you have Ubisoft's Uplay Installed - Launch it to Update Now

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by lancer778544, 30 Jul 2012.

1. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

More here.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Oh dear. Well, this pretty much seals the deal for DRM. Ironically Ubisoft may hopefully be the reason why they stop. I doubt it, but doing this big of a ****up is sure to stop DRM's prevalence.

3. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

The only thing this shows is that ubi has useless programmers. This will not stop, slow, or even mildly hinder DRM in any form or manner.

It's like saying one car manufacturer built a car that explodes when you start the engine - so that's the end of all cars for ever and ever.

Not likely.

/2cents

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I am yet to play Anno 2070 because the UPlay servers were all down the entire day I set aside to play it.

Awesome

5. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

DRM is kinda pointless. Hackers get around it all the time!

Yet to update Uplay will do it tonight when I get home.

6. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I just uninstalled it instead. Much better.

7. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

God it’s bad enough that u-play has been updated and I have now been forced to bind my copy of Anno 2070 to it, otherwise it would not let me play it. To also have to put up with the indignity of this sales tool orientated version of UPlay and then compounded by this glaring security flaw, it's offensive. I have one game on it, but every time I log in I am greeted with a sales page, there does not seem to be a way to get it to load strait to the games page, which is also crappy and has needless layers of clicking there.

Uplay had installed a UPlay module into Firefox without asking or informing. I also checked IE and Chrome but could not find similar plug-ins, anyone know where it might be located?

I would love to un-install UPlay totally as Phalanx has but then I would be unable to play Anno. Although thinking about it, I have only just reached the point recently where I have been able to play it more often than not, as the Ubicrap servers for it are so frequently off-line!
    I begrudgingly picked up a copy of Splinter Cell Conviction in the steam sales, to try and enjoy the co-op but not once have the servers been accessible, giving an error message to say the Ubisoft servers are unavailable. We resorted to using a vlan to try and get round it but it’s a very flaky work around and we found that connectivity often dropped for no obvious reason.
    Up until that point, I had been on a long boycott of any games published by Ubisoft, and this fiasco has reminded me why. Everything they touch turns to crap.

The whole situation is grossly offensive.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Ubisoft is the single strongest argument for piracy I've come across in some time. Buy the game, download the torrent/crack, profit.

Just as a disclaimer, I don't condone piracy or breaking the EULA of any form of media per se, but as ever I really can see the argument when a company ****s up DRM this badly. I used to have respect for Ubisoft, now I wouldn't touch them with yours. I've probably missed some classic gaming moments for sure, but I'm still happy.

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

All these server issues they seem to have had has been after they updating uPlay to this new crap thing.

Before it seemed pretty much fine, I don't think I really had any problems trying to play Anno.

10. bushi

bushi What's a Dremel?

You wouldn't freaking believe it, I just paid for a copy of Anno last night.

I should have waited one more day. I didn't realise that I had to install this uplay rubbish. Man it's just horrible and gets in the way.

Have uninstalled it and put a crack on the game for now. I am now up to speed with how bad ubi still are.

11. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I thought about Cracking it but then I would not be able to play with my mates and would be locked out of some of the games features, like the Ark storage.

12. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I also have Chrome, Firefox and IE and could only find the extension in Firefox too. It came up with a popup a few mins after I posted the thread saying it had automatically disabled it due to a threat (I think someone submitted a bug report to Mozilla who remotely disabled the extension).

13. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

Uninstalling UPlay and Ubisoft games this evening, damn you Steam Summer Sales!

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Ubisoft is an argument for piracy. Which is deliciously ironic given it's strong stance for DRM. That said, while I am aware that it will not curb DRM it definitely will make users even more wary of it. And with this in mind it will definitely cause the less vocal to be more vocal against it. It's a win win in this case.

15. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder