1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan listing leaks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Quad SLI for true_gamer beckons...

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Really looking forward to popping for 2-3 of these babies

YEHBABY likes this.
  4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I've been looking for a good reason to swap my GTX580, now I have it! Sweet!

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Giving 770 for a game card is ridiculous! especial because the PC game market isn't making any progress in games that demand this kind of hardware. Unless you are running in 4K resolutions...

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The price seems odd to me, a GTX 690 is around £10 less but from leaked benchmarks the Titan is a fair bit quicker.
    Maybe there is a price drop in the pipe.

7. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Mistakes in the report regarding pricing of the Tesla leaves me with doubt as that isnt even right...

Based on the usual "mistakes" nearly every site makes regarding price (add etailer margin and VAT to it guys) and you end up with £1000 or so...

Given the "leaked" benchmarks and you have reason to pay it if 690s are £300 less...

Premium product attracts premium price after all.

All of the above however is merely speculation, that includes the report. Something tells me AMD are soon to release something special... ooooowwww Speculation/speculation/speculation#

8. Shirty

For that price I'd expect most users to be running 4k or multi screens.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

If its a true price point you can get 3 680s for around similar money. which will be alot faster than 1 of these.

10. Shirty

True enough, but if the power consumption figures are correct then I think the heat and draw of 3 680s might be a bit of a turn off for a lot of people (but not all :naughty:)

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What report? *My* report? There's no mistakes there, bud: the price given is from a Dutch retailer, thus including both margin and European VAT. The price of £2,600 for a Tesla K20 is right, too: you can buy it right now at that price, including VAT.

12. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

EDI feed therefor not actual stock. Held at a warehouse and shipped from a disti, company makes maybe £5 profit for the service. Now, god forbid this card doesnt work, is the £5 profit for this company really worth the effort? Not really no and as a knock on effect of pricing like this you end up with a ruined margin for other business' to try and make money off. Looking at a etailer that has a real warehouse shows £2988 as a low point price or above. massive difference in price there.

As for the dutch retailer, im guessing EDI too or they dont have the correct figures for pricing.

I must say it in near every article be it bit-tech or your competition that these reports falsify a hope with the customer and as such damages the industry.

Prime example... product X is $330.. that equates to £210.. WOW! Etailer BUYS at $330.. adds 10% margin and VAT and all of a sudden its £285... a far cry from the £210 the press falsely lead the customer into thinking they will need to budget for.

Its a pet hate of mine thats all and by all means bring me up on this if and when the product is released if I am wrong but as it stands I am yet to be wrong which is a shame because for once it would be nice to see the members of bit-tech excited for something that will happen rather than something that could "potentially" happen and never does.

13. Gareth Halfacree

What on earth are you talking about? Here, how about £2,574 with three in stock right now. Or, if you'd prefer to go and pick one up, you can pay a bit more at £2,713.

'Guessing.'

I think you'll find that every time I talk about a product that has not been given confirmed UK pricing, I either mention specifically that the converted dollars-to-pounds figure is "excluding taxes," or I include VAT.

So, once again: despite the bee in your bonnet, there's nothing inaccurate in the article. You can buy a Tesla K20 right now, from a site that has it in stock ready for delivery, for under £2,600. A retailer put up a listing for the GeForce GTX Titan at £770 (well, the local equivalent) including VAT. These are not mistakes, nor are they 'guesses.' They are facts.

14. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Just because its "in stock" doesnt mean its at the location your buying from and as you can see on your very forums theres a number of disgruntled customers buying something "in stock" to then get an email saying it simply isnt. This is how the industry unfortunately works, not all stock is held where you think it is, something known as an EDI feed can show stocks on a site that are being pulled from another companies inventory. The concept is great but because the seller never handles the goods they are not inclined to make the same profit margin they would on what they do actually hold. Its essentially almost risk free and lets face it 1-2% of something is better than 15% of nothing.

Novatech do this but the whole process is internal which is why you get different stock levels per SKU as some may be head in reading, the rest in Portsmouth or at any other location Novatech have a store/trade counter location. Whether or not they use the EDI service principle to load stock levels from other distis in other locations I however do not know but those you have quoted do and their business model is built on it.

Secondly I have not singled out bit-tech with this as I have said "nearly every site". There is a bee in the bonnet because the press; sites like this will state that a product X is about to come out and the price is as I said as an example $330. This is fine but its rarely stated if this is "cost" from manufacturer or actual cost to consumer which as always is assumed as the full price inclusive of VAT. This is rarely the case and that stated price is often around 30% out. VAT (20%) and etailer margin (5-15%).

The above leaves customers disheartened thats all and speculation from areas other than price ie performance has a similar effect. The press as such has the ability as a whole to make or break a product before it is even released which can kill profits etc in the industry.

Worst case scenario the press ruins one too many products in this sort of way and a company could go bump.

Once companies go bump products become fewer.. fewer products means less reviews.. less reviews and less public spend empathises this further to a point where there ultimately will be no industry and no job reviewing or pressing news on said product.

I am fully aware the above mini rant is completely over the top and very unlikely to happen but the principles and thought process behind it all remain true. You may say "fact" which I am not arguing about as it could well be "fact" based on the information you have been given however you have said it yourself, the UK does not have pricing so therefor why should any other country have pricing? The simple answer is they shouldnt and as such there is no fact, merely once again speculation.

15. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Yeah I agree there seams to be a price drop coming. This will spicy up the GPU market for this gen. Maybe even price drops on AMD's 79xx's. Can't wait to see what this does to the market.

16. L-Set

L-Set What's a Dremel?

Sorry Andrew, working for a reseller I can tell you that Gareth's pricing on the K20 is correct. That's factoring in VAT, stock levels and adding on typical margin as well. That's been checked as well as I was honestly just curious to find out.

Yes you are right about consumer's getting screwed over on initial pricing being out of skew and getting our hopes up, but in this case it looks like the pricing might be correct. I say might, because let's face it this is the UK, but comparing prices at the moment adds up. Still, who knows until the NDA and everything else is lifted.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Anyone know why some web sites are reporting the date as 18th February ?
    Is this the lifting of the NDA and the 28th is when its being stocked ?

18. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Not only is it quicker, it only uses one gpu. Theoretically even if its slightly slower you could still sli 4 of those graphics mongers. IE that could be as good as 8 normal cards, or 4 690s. AND most likely less power draw.

19. BlueFalcon

BlueFalcon What's a Dremel?

"....a K20 board features a 384-bit memory bus made of up six 64-bit controllers running in parallel and 15 Streaming Multiprocessor (SMX) units with 192 CUDA cores each for a total of 2,880 processing cores."

No. K20 has 2,496 CUDA cores because 2 SMX cluster are disables. K20X has 2,688 CUDA cores with 1 SMX cluster disabled. There are no GK110 chips with 15 SMX clusters for sale, no matter how much $ you pay.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6446/nvidia-launches-tesla-k20-k20x-gk110-arrives-at-last

This likely means that at most GK110 can have is 2,688 CUDA cores. Since K20X has a 235W TDP and its GPU clocks are just 732mhz, paired with 5.2Ghz on GDDR5, it's hard to imagine how the Titan can have 7Ghz GDDR5 and 1Ghz GPU clocks. My guess is it will have 900-950 mhz GPU clocks, coming in roughly 50-60% faster than a GTX680.

20. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Is that the ugliest high end hardware picture you could get?
    Also is this Tesla or for us Gaming nerds to buy? I cant quite pin whether your putting this as a tesla new product or a juicy card for most of us to dream of owning (or both). It sits in between the tesla units you mention but then you say Nvidia Fans: presumably the majority of home owned PC nutters.