1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Left 4 Dead Survival Mode and new stats system

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 May 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

There's definitely a welcome amount of nice-ness in Survival mode. In the other game types, especially Versus, it's getting to the stage where people are being vote-kicked simply for not being as good as the rest of the team.

Kicking people because they're nobs is fine, but because they're simply bad at the game? That's so elitist Hitler would approve. It's really because the team's are so small. A crap player is covered up in a 10 man game of CSS or TF2, but in a team of 4 where absolutely everyone matters it can become very apparent very quickly who's good and who's not.

I was once vote-kicked because I missed a hunter pounce and landed on the survivor being smokered instead of the survivor trying to free him. Yes it was a dumb thing to do, but it made no difference to the outcome of the game, and it's not kick worthy at any rate. It's for this reason I don't really play versus any more, it's Expert Campaign or Survival only.

DraigUK likes this.
  3. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

Unless the guy is AFK or so dumb he shouldn't be breathing I just auto-no to every votekick.

Was funny the other night to be on a server and one guy was just trying to kick people every 30 seconds.

He got kicked and auto banned himself after trying it too many times. Was hilarious. :clap:

I like all modes in L4D, depending on my mood. Survival sure is fun, but you need a real good team to get gold.

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I got kicked once for being slow out of the lift.

5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Has happened to me on occasions. Makes me wander if some servers are groups of friends who just kick any strangers. I've voted no quite a few times when other team mates have voted to kick a less able player. I mean give the guy a chance! Still, it's happened a lot less in survival mode thankfully, probably because every one only has a few minutes to live anyway!

6. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

I'm usually pretty good with ammo and accuracy, but that comes from devoting so much of my life to Source engine shooters, but not one where accuracy doesn't matter and you only spray and pray (TF2).

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

God damn love L4D's survival mode. Such a great addition. Shame it didn't ship with it :/

Either way, I didn't know about the new stats etc. Thanks for the heads up, may have to go and prove to my friends that I am far from useless on the top of the lighthouse with a hunting rifle, as they all seem to think I just doss and hide!

8. DbD

DbD Minimodder

In survival no one kicks, they just leave. Where as in campaign mode you can carry weaker players even on expert - in fact it made it more of a challenge and therefore was fun - on survival only the best team will do.

A good team can comfortably do a gold time in nearly every attempt, a bad team (standing in exactly the same place) won't manage 5 minutes.

Hence after 1 round if you don't get a good time you know it's basically futile. This makes survival with random teams a lottery - looking for that rare random team capable of posting a decent time. Unfortunately like the real lottery most of the time you loose :(

9. Slyr7.62

Slyr7.62 «ŚŁÂŶÈŘ»

Call of Duty 2 needs that to when someone constantly calls votes on people the voter will get kicked or temp banned. That might also help against the hackers who use a non-stop vote thing to try to not get kick-voted.

Tags: Add Tags