1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Nexus 5 first real smartphone

Discussion in 'General' started by phoenixck, 26 Jan 2014.

1. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

My new place of work only allows access to their intranet I can no longer use my tablet to run my life, so I decided to get a decent phone.

My last phone was a samsung e-500, so I have no clue how to treat my nexus 5 right.

Currently thinking of just getting a screen protector and case does anybody have any suggestions (with reasoning would be helpful)?

Cheers

2. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

I got mine 2 weeks ago, fantastic phone.

Firstly I bought this case Spigen Slim Case
    This came with a screen protector.
    It's good but not great. The edges can be too sharp if you've got your pinky supporting the phone. Can file it down though. :dremel:

I ordered this last night to replace that case: Spigen Neo Hybrid

I also recommend the sub reddit for the nexus 5, it's really good for quick fire questions.
    And of course, the XDA developers sub forum.

For modifications I first unrooted the phone using chainfire's auto-unroot. I then installed TWRP touch recovery before I even used my phone (as it wipes data when you unlock so it's best to do it before you get attached to your messages, etc.)

Secondly, I installed franco's kernel.
    Thirdly, I installed the Xposed framework with Xblast.
    For rooted apps I have: Trickster MOD, Tasker, Xblast tools, Xposed Installer, SuperSU.

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Great phone, it was also my first good smart phone (previous phone was HTC Wildfire - very slow!).

I bought another Spigen case, but the one linked above is probably better (the clear back accumlates dust / lint in my pocket!).
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/CUSHION-Ant...qid=1390760111&sr=8-1&keywords=spigen+nexus+5

This came with a thin plastic screen protector which has been pretty good - it hasn't lowered the sensitivity of the screen at all and I managed to get only one air buble in it! :lol:

4. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

I couldn't be happier with my Nexus 5, it's a fantastic phone. Currently I'm just running it stick. I spent a lot of time customising the software on my old phone but I'm enjoying the stock experience at the moment. I'll probably get round to rooting sooner or later.

Generally I find unless you enjoy the tinkering you don't really need a custom ROM, the default android ROM is pretty damn good anyway. It's when your using phones with a load of pre-installed bloatware that rooting and custom roms really become a lifesaver.

In terms of accessories I'd start browsing the xda forum linked by Panomama. Personally I've got the Spigen Slim Armour case which has served me well. I like the style and it's a TPU case so protects the phone very well. It just makes the phone a little bit bulkier as a trade-off.

It's personal preference with cases really. Some people would never give up the look and feel of a naked phone. My last phone smashed when I dropped it so I like having a case that'll protect my phone as much as possible.

I just got a Nillkin Tempered Glass Screen Protector and it's fantastic. Super easy to install and coming from using the normal plastic screen protectors a tempered glass protector just feels and looks much nicer. The biggest compliment I can give is that you don't notice it's there unless you look the speaker cutout. It's not too expensive at £10.

5. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I upgraded from my incredibly old sony w880i to a nexus 5 and couldn't be happier, its in a nexus bumper case and is really nice. I may get an official flip case later on.

6. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Default rom unrooted here in the Spigen that Oasked linked.

My reasons for rooting before were to get rid of HTC Sense and now I have stock Android it's irrelevant (for me).

Excellent phone though, let down slightly by a stodgy speaker but it's more than adequate :)

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

My brother currently has the Spigen Neo Hybrid case and he loves it. It's very solid, buttons are very responsive and it just fits perfectly. He's running the phone stock and loves it. My neighbour has his rooted, overclocked and all that nonsense and he somehow manages 2, sometimes 3 days out of 1 full charge. Tempted to pick one up for myself as my galaxy nexus s is starting to show its age.

8. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

Rooted Nexus 5 with Spigen Clear Slim Case and absolutely loving it atm.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Don't really get the huge need for screen protectors I've had a iphone 5 and sg4 since launch and they still look mint condition wise. Not sure how people drop phones all the time.

10. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

That's the thing though, you only have to drop it once. You can be as careful as you like but accidents still happen (as they did with last phone) and that's why I use a case and screen protector.

G0UDG likes this.
  11. phoenixck

Well I ordered a nillkin screen protector so I'll send how it stacks up against the spigen ones I've seen in the past. Also first post with my nexus 5. If I went with a spigen neo hybrid case where would people suggest I get one from, in terms of price and service?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

12. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Amazon?

13. phoenixck

Might have to. I'm just not a fan of Amazon as a company.

14. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Lolwut?

Best customer service you will find from a large corporation in my experience...

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Exactly.

16. phoenixck

I meant their anticompetitive ways.... Agreed on their cs though. Wanting to run this as a personal assistant what apps would you suggest?