1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Adobe Reader X

Discussion in 'Software' started by FelixTech, 7 May 2011.

1. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I have just uninstalled this and gone back to Reader 9. It kept prevent firefox from terminating, and often crashed with random errors. When adobe reader tells you you need to restart it, but then prevents you from restarting firefox without a CTRL-ALT-DELETE (which the only way to do so), there is a problem.

Am I the only one who has had issues with it?

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Do you need firefox as your day to day browser? Chrome has native PDF support, doesn't have any of that Adobe rubbish trying to kick your HTML legs out from under you all the time.

3. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Better yet, remove adobe reader, install Foxit.

4. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

I find this has been a problem for quite a while with Reader 8 onwards and FF3
    I disable pdf opening in Firefox and save the file.
    Go to Tools, Options, Applications Adobe Acrobat Document and change the options to Save File.

5. tehBoris

The real problem is that Adobe Reader is just bad, it's slow, bloated and you don't need it. You would be much better off using a different problem all together.

Also, staying on an outdated version of one of the most targeted pieces of software is a really bad idea. Though, come to think of it, using one of the most targeted pieces of software that you don't need is just a bad idea any way.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I agree, Adobe Reader is crap, use FoxIt.
    But if you want to use Adobe Reader 9 or 10. It seams to run fine on my side with the new Firefox 4. (I have hardware acceleration disabled on it).
    I can't use FoxIt, because some profs like to use a bunch of security options on there course notes, so FoxIt reader just shows a blank PDF.

Give it a try.

7. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Cheers guys. I'll give Foxit a go!

I also need to be able to view academic papers, although I don't know if you are referring to published stuff or internal documents. I should probably give Chrome another chance at some point, but I don't know what I'd do without AdBlock and NoScript! Although the reason I ditched it last time was down to personal preference of where my bookmarks are located...

8. tehBoris

if you are used to NoScript, keep with Firefox. I adore the ability to not have a web page take over my browser.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I meant course notes/assignments, etc..
    Well if you end up with an unreadable PDF, or a blank one, you know why, and know how to view it (fire-up Adobe Reader)

Another option, is to disable the Adobe Reader plug-in in your web browsers. This way, you open Adobe externally and independently.

10. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i use google to view pdf mostly. no need to install anything. i only use reader for ebooks and such anymore.