1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Help Please! Screen black, fans kick in (fast)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by LindzAB, 18 Oct 2012.

1. LindzAB

LindzAB What's a Dremel?

Hey, so...

after gathering hard earned pennies, i built me this,

Antec One case
    Intel i5 3.40 GHz Processor
    ASUS Maximus Gene V
    PurePower L8 530W bequiet!
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB Blue RAM
    Arctic cooling Freezer i30 CPU fan
    Radeon Sapphire HD 7870 2GB GCard
    Seagate 2TB SATA hard-drive
    Windows 7 64-bit

switched it on, all was good, except 'CPU Fan error', which i believe is just my motherboard being petty noticing it dropping a few RPM's below the Q-Fan Speed. Easy fix, Disable CPU Q-Fan in BIOS (right!?), error doesnt show again, fan still runs of course.

My problem is, after a few hours of run time, gaming or not, my monitor goes black and the fans go mental! They kick in big style. PC is still running though. Checked mother boards LED code display, shows A0, which is fine, i believe.

Help meh please, tis making me go bald!
    Thank you! :)

2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Have you monitored your cpu temp ?

3. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

I'm suspecting the GPU, as GPU fan would kick in hard if temperature reach beyond X amount and the display goes black.Open up the AMD catalyst panel and keep an eye on the GPU temps. May also be worth re-seating it and double checking the PCI-E power connectors.Although i would suspect if you where gaming the problem show up a lot quicker?

Also make sure the CCC is up to date.

Temp and power usage graph
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5767/capsule-review-sapphires-radeon-hd-7870-overclock-edition/4

4. LindzAB

LindzAB What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your help guys!!

Well I'm currently in the process of getting the GPU replaced, when it comes back we shall see if all is good, if not ill be sure to follow your advice @towelie and yes your right in saying it happens a lot quicker when gaming, plus what's CCC? Sorry! Haha
    Thanks again!

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Another possibility may be a motherboard driver crash. This makes the system freeze and the screen go blank and all fans default to 100% speed as their thermostatic control has gone offline.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

CCC is catalyst control centre. Download a program like Core Temp to check CPU temperature to check that isn't the issue.

Not a bad idea - did you install all the chipset drivers etc? If you open up Device Manager, are there any yellow exclamation marks?