1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dell U2408WFP or U2410 Inquiry

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eric_r, 17 Aug 2009.

1. eric_r

eric_r What's a Dremel?

Hi folks, it's been a long time since I've last posted.

I have a fairly urgent advice request, as Dell currently have a $200 discount on the U2408WFP ($749 sale price) ending on the 20th of this month, and obviously I would like to take advantage of it if I go down that track.

I currently have a 22" Asus TN panel, and after upgrading my graphics cards to Crossfire, I feel I'm not getting my money's worth on my current panel. After doing some research, I've created a dilemma for myself, as I can't decide on a panel.

My main question is this: After noticing the Dell U2410 Ultrasharp, which is available here in Aus through their small business arm for $899, and has an IPS panel, would someone like myself who has never used a high end display get any added benefit out of it over the U2408WFP?

Primarily it would be used for games, movies (SD and HD), with a small amount of graphic design/photography work also. The price of the U2410 is a bit of a stretch, admittedly, so it would need to be a substantial improvement over the cheaper model.

I realise there's a lot of info available on the U2408, but I've found it difficult to determine if it's a good panel for gaming, or whether it's better suited to graphics work. Also, I don't have enough time before the 20th to understand the ins and outs of the different panel types - something which has already done my head in :geek:.

Thanks for your replies.

Edit: links for easy viewing

http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/busin...aspx?refid=monitor-dell-u2410&s=bsd&cs=aubsd1
    U2410

http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/busin...pd.aspx?refid=monitor_2408wfp&s=bsd&cs=aubsd1
    U2408WFP

Last edited: 17 Aug 2009
  2. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

i got the dell 2408 for 350 US....seek another place to purchase it ;)

3. eric_r

eric_r What's a Dremel?

Aussie prices are screwed up for some things. The HP LP2475W is available on Newegg at current exchange rates for ~$650AUD, but it's going for a minimum of $1125AUD....

As far as I know, Dell in Australia is currently only available from Dell directly, or through Officeworks - no luck in getting it cheap from an etailer, unless things have changed.

Thanks for your post.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I thought the U2410 was only for the Japanese market?

5. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

Get the u2410 over the 2408wfp. it's a similar price for a much better monitor. you have an led backlit (i think), IPS monitor. much better than ccfl backlit pva

6. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

What happened to the Dell U2409WFP?

7. eric_r

eric_r What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I'm tempted to fork out the extra cash at the moment. My only gripe is the lack of thorough reviews, but I suppose the IPS panels in HPs and NECs tend to rate highly so I shouldn't be too worried.

About the availability of it, I'd say that since Aus falls under Oceania and it would be available in other parts of Asia, we have access here?

Before I take the plunge, if you guys and gals were in my position, is there anything else I should know, especially drawbacks of the IPS technology?

I appreciate all the replies.

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

As far as I know the U2410 hasn't got an LED backlight, but just a wide gamut CCFL. The IPS panel should be a lot better than the PVA panel, though.

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Go with the U2410, it's newer, most likely IPS and dell hasn't played the panel lottery on us yet.

Or just go on ebay and pray for the best while searching for a NEC2490WUXi.

10. eric_r

eric_r What's a Dremel?

I've placed an order for the U2410. I'll probably right up a new thread with some thoughts on it, and if anyone has some questions, I'll see if I can answer them, seeing as it's not yet available everywhere.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

When it is, post up screenies, I would like to see it's performance.

12. eric_r

eric_r What's a Dremel?

Interestingly, the U2408 isn't on the website anymore. They either sold out before the end of the promotion, or it was a runout model anyway.