1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress CNC Router Build - The Poverty Project - UPDATE 05/01/2013

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nealieboyee, 11 Dec 2012.

1. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Update on post #37

Hi all,
    This will be my first "Scratch Build" thread and it won't be a pc.

A bit of background. I wanted to build a CNC router to earn a bit of extra cash making acrylic fan grills, case panel cut outs, and loads of engraved things etc, so the original plan was for an MDF machine capable of cutting up to 1000 x 600mm sheets. However, due to budget constraints, and not knowing what the new year holds for me (unemployed at the moment, and not much cash), I will be building a desktop machine with a cutting size of roughly 200x300mm.

Please bear with me as for most of this project i'll be winging it.

First on the list of things to get was mdf, but after cutting a few sheets with the router, I decided not to use it because of the dust involved. Instead I'll be using 94x18mm lengths of wood from B&Q. I think its pine.

Here is the sketchup 2D. Dimensions are approx. 480mm x 400mm x 340mm.

[​IMG]

I'll be buying the wood tomorrow and cutting the lengths to size as well as drilling the holes for the linear rails and mounting screws.

The bearing trucks are 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8" aluminium angle and skate bearings. These are already made and shown below.

[​IMG]

The linear rails will be 16mm pipe.

I'm using HDPE for the alignment blocks on each end of the machine (shown in white) because tapping wood is a pain. I found a 200mm x 150mm sheet on ebay for about £6 and that should be just enough for all 12 blocks.

The lead screws will be standard 8mm threaded rod until I can afford proper ACME lead screws.

Thanks for looking,
    Betty/Neal

Last edited: 5 Jan 2013
  2. Fridge Gnome

Fridge Gnome Blue Everywhere

I'll have to follow this, I've been thinking about building a cnc router for a while too.

3. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

nice model dude :D look forward to watching it take shape :D

4. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

Will be great to see how low cost you can make this, looks like a very interesting project :dremel:

5. gungravevn

gungravevn What's a Dremel?

Sub interesting project

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Sweet! I'll be first in line to buy some Nealieboyee CNC'd parts!

7. Nealieboyee

Thanks!

I'll put up a bill of materials with costs if you like? As I said before, cheap as possible lol.

Well thats the plan Tom! Rip you all off :D Have you tested the scroll saw yet?

Thanks.

This has been in the works for a looong time!

So today I froze my a$$ off going to B&Q to get a few materials.

2100mm x 94mm x 18mm Planed square edge timber £4.80 each x2 = £9.60
    [​IMG]

1m x 8mm Threaded rod for the lead screws £2.48 each x2 = £4.96
    1m x 16mm steel tube for the linear rails £4.18 each x 2 = £8.36
    [​IMG]

I will use these bed screws and cross dowels for attaching the wood together. Strong as hell when tightened.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the HDPE sheet I was talking about. It arrived in the post today. Dimensions are 200mm x 150mm x 15mm thickness. I should be able to tap 8mm holes into it pretty easily. I'll mark all the pieces tonight and start cutting tomorrow morning.

[​IMG]

I also thought it would be good to show a few of the tools i'll be using. Fairly basic stuff. Also, I have a small cheap pillar drill, Bosch 1200W router, and mains drill with one 22mm forstner bit and various plain drill bits.

That steel rule is clamped to the wood with bolts to help with accurate measurements. I don't have an engineers square unfortunately, but this is pretty square.

[​IMG]

I'll post renders of each part above the manufactured part so you can see what i'm making, when I make it.

More tomorrow!
    Betty

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

No - its been to friggin cold to go out to the shed lately! Got a few days off over xmas though, so I'm hoping to get a-sawing then!

9. Telefonskaft

Telefonskaft What's a Dremel?

Seems great, been wanting to do something like this too, do you know what motors you're going to use? Been trying to read tutorials for this but many ain't that helpful, hopefully I will understand more from this thread, or do you got any: "Build your cheap CNC for dummys" links on you? ;)

10. Nealieboyee

Still going to be freezing! Good luck!

The best thing you can do is read the project logs on CNCzone.com. Start here. My build was inspired by a lot of those builds. I tried to take the strengths from their builds and mix them up a bit to get rid of the most common weaknesses. There is a ton of info on the instructables site too! Check your pm's too. :thumb:

I just won an auction on ebay for a dremel 300, so i've got the router part sorted. It should be here in a couple of days.

11. Nealieboyee

Right so here's a small update. I apologize in advance for the poor picture quality. I'm without a camera for a couple of days so I used my sister's tablet.

I have finished the HDPE adjustment blocks (circled in red). Their purpose is to align the linear rails parallel to each other, and also so they fit snugly against the bearings, as shown in the render below. The two black rails can be adjusted outwards, upwards, downwards or inwards by tightening or loosening four bolts (M8 x 20mm).

[​IMG]

Here are the finished blocks. I start cutting and drilling the wooden parts tomorrow morning.

[​IMG]

Betty

12. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

subbed, Nice work and a very handy tool to have.

You still thinking about offering services, I might have some work for you some time.

13. Nealieboyee

Thanks for the nice words.

As for the services, well that depends on how this bad boy turns out. With my luck it will be 5mm off of any measurement lol.

One thing to note. B&Q can't cut wood square worth a damn. Almost started cutting tonight and realised that the ends were off by almost 2mm. I knew those lines weren't straight. Luckily I measured and have started marking again for tomorrow. Gonna be fun!

14. Nealieboyee

Today's update

I have finished building the base frame. The wood chips like crazy.

[​IMG]

Here is a better pic of the adjustment block.

[​IMG]

Here is the block installed

[​IMG]

I'll be doing the gantry (upright and cross piece) tomorrow.

Thanks!

15. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

shaping up well man, won't be long before your re making parts for your CNC using your CNC :D

16. Nealieboyee

Lol most of the builds I've seen end up doing exactly that. This one might be a bit small though....

17. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Excellent!! been thinking of doing something similar for a while now, will definitely be watching this one!! good luck!

18. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Interesting build. It will be nice to see some results from this build. However I would probably have bet that the original plan of using MDF would have been better. Im a bit afraid that the wood you use will start to warp over time causing misalignments, something that MDF not normaly do. What kind of router will you be using? Dremel?

Anyway, interesting project.

19. Nealieboyee

Gnu you are right. The wood has already started to warp due to the weather. But with no place to work and kids in the house, the mdf dust makes it difficult to breathe.

I will be using a dremel 300. Hopefully the runout in the spindle won't be bad!

20. Nealieboyee

Today's update:

I have finished the bed of the machine. This is the X-axis. I've taken GNU's advice and gone with MDF for this part. The warping of the pine has made it really difficult to get accurate measurements, and this is one part that needs to be really accurate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One corner is slightly loose when the bed is moved to one end of the table. I believe this is due to a slightly bent pipe from B&Q. But it still runs smoothly. I'll replace the pipe.

Here is short video of the movement. Please excuse the darkness.

More soon folks!
    Betty