1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD R290X GPU - Titan Killer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neogumbercules, 23 Sep 2013.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Haven't seen this posted around here yet. Apparently a big leak for AMDs next card has hit the net.

We're looking at 4GB of GDDR5 RAM, a 512 bit memory bus. Early leaked benches put it just ahead of the Titan in modern games. If AMD comes out in the $500 range with this card they will really be eating Nvidia's lunch.

I won't post the links here but if you want to find it for yourself just do a google search :thumb:

2. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

The rumour is/was that it'll launch at $599, which would mean around £450 in the UK.

With leaked specs, photos and benchmarks this late, it's probably true. The memory will be extremely fast and likely clocked very low to allow for lower power draw. It looks like it'll beat the Titan overall, and be in a league above the GTX 780 while being cheaper.

That'd mean nvidia's got nothing at any price point to match AMD right now.

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

i'm expecting more GK110-based cards from nvidia at pricepoints which are competitive with the new AMD cards

4. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

Another couple of days!!

5. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

From what i can gather to beat titan it does it on the boost clock not the reference clock

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

If it can maintain that then no problem.

7. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

even if it can't, at $600 i wouldn't complain if i can't beat a 1k card

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

So it's basically a 780 with a slight overclock? Becasue the 780s weren't slouches..

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

About time really, NVIDIA really needed competition at the high end to force prices down. If the rumours are correct, we may see the GTX 780 dropping to circa £400 prices to remain competitive, and who knows what with the Titan itself.

I do find it a bit sad that it took AMD this long to respond though :(

10. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I almost feel sorry for the people who always pays the max for nVidia cards. Well I will be getting this card but not at the beginning. I have always been in the red team and anything I know about them is the drivers in the beginning leave a lot too be desired

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It's the same for any card - the price will always drop over time. I mean, a GTX 680 was a £400 buy when new, and can now be found for sub-£200 second hand! You buy a card for 'full' price simply because you want/need a new card at that point in time, and are willing to accept the cost.

12. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I wouldnt expect it to be as fast as you lot are thinking. The 7990 will still be the fastest GPU (yes i know its a dual but thats besides the point)

13. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I have no gripes with 400 but 800 for a single gpu is nuts

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

14. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

If it beats the Titan on the boost clock then that's still a reference clock. There will be overclocked models that go far higher for sure. It'd be way ahead of the 780 if the leaks are true.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

The question many are asking is whats took so long. Nothing really unexpected if it does beat a Titan and 780 both are older cards now. Titan was launched what feb of this year, 780 around may. Assuming this is not a paper launch we will be able to buy in October.

AMD are as much to blame for Nvidia pricing as Nvidia they charged what they wanted because they had no competition, guessing we will see a 780 come down to the exact same price or below as this new gpu is, With the Titan still commanding a premium over it.

Hopefully it will cause a reduction in price of nvidia cards so I can pick up a couple of titans for a resonable figure instead of the crazy number they want currently.

Cost is like buying a new high end phone you either want it or you do not want it. Theres plenty of people willing to pay £400-£500 for a new top end gpu if they need one.

Small reminder if you brought a 7970 on launch its lasted basically 2 years without issues. devide that cost by the number of hrs you have gamed on it and the cost per hr will be in the pence range. Hell even if you brought 2 you would still struggle to be above 50pence.

16. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

I always get my shiny new gadge on contract, can't do that with GPU's :( shame really!

I'm looking forward to the pricing shakeup, not the card.
    I jumped the AMD ship back in the 4900 days, when the cards were crippled by the drivers, and I'm glad I did, I went straight to an SLI set up and haven't looked back since.

IF they can deliver a card that is faster than my 680sli setup, and at a pricepoint that makes it very accomodating to my fearful wallet, I'll still wait until the 780's are obtainable.

Poor AMD/ATI, I feel your pain bro.

17. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Sound's like it will be a good but the power that these are rumored to use, would make me worry.

I am waiting till March/April next year though before I buy my next card's unless something happens to mine in the mean time.

18. Parge

its most certainly not beside the point if the 7990 suffers from terrible microstutter. I believe this has been partially solved, but still affects eyefinity solutions and some games.

19. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

7970 in crossfire has been sorted out. Mine was running perfectly but not sure on the 7990

20. Parge

Not exactly - only solved the issue in DX10/11 games, and in resolutions up to 2560*1600.