1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Sanity check and looking for recommendations for cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rapture2k4, 9 May 2012.

1. Rapture2k4

Rapture2k4 What's a Dremel?

Hai!

So I'm planning an upgrade on my dated system and looking for a quick sanity check. Gonna be used for Blizzard games, Minecraft, and EA Games and video encoding. Here is the hardware that is being recycled:

Gfx: Gigabyte HD6850 OC (About 1 year old)
    HDDs: Intel X-M25 G2 64GB SataII, m4 64GB SataIII, Seagate 1TB, WD Black 640GB
    DVD: Lite-On DVD Burner SataII (maybe)
    Cooling (Maybe): Corsair H60, 6 channel fan controller (forget brand)
    Power: OCZ ModXtreme 700W

What I'm planning:
    MoBo: AsRock Z77E-ITX
    RAM: Samsung MV-3V4G3/US (x2, kits are sold out.... constantly)
    Cooling: CM Hyper 212 Plus or Low Profile or reuse H60
    HDD: m4 64GB (for RAID0)
    BluRay: Asus 12X SataII (wish I could find a slim slot-load sony...) (maybe)

I've been reading that this RAM is awesome for the price, so I figured I'd give it a shot for 1/2 the price of the GSkill/Geil stuff. As for cooling, I've been reading that Ivy Bridge runs quite a bit hotter than expected, but Intel says it is normal. That being said, I've always aimed for 39C or less idle and 55C or less for full load. Is that reasonable for Ivy Bridge on air and more importantly, can anyone recommend a low-profile cooler that could achieve this? I don't have the cash to invest in water tho. I'm open to trying a cheap kit for under $150 (liquid inc).

Recommendations?

2. TobyKing1982

TobyKing1982 Minimodder

I think the lowest profile fan you could get would probably be the stock cooler. Otherwise the Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced got a very good review in Custom Pc (Based on a Sandy Bridge).

3. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

What case are you cramming this all into, guess it will be something M-ITX, you also haven't mentioned what CPU you are using, will you be overclocking? Should be a little powerhouse though with the specs you've got here.

4. Rapture2k4

Oops, forgot the CPU, I plan on an i7-3570K. I will overclock this system a bit. As far as the case, I'm currently designing an aluminium/wood cube.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

ivy bridge is one hot chip

if you go with a low profile cooler you will struggle to get 4ghz with decent temps

h60 should do it and its what id use of the 3 you listed

6. Williz

Williz Minimodder

Yeah I would suggest a H60 or H80 as above if you want to use a low profile cooler but still OC decently.

7. Rapture2k4

Well, I've been window shopping online for the last week and I'm having some trouble with a couple things. First thing is a correction: I have a Corsair H50, not an H60, but the differences are minor.

I've decided to buy a pre-built case due to work load and surgery coming up soon. I've decided against the Blu-ray in favor of the new case. Going to reuse my Lite-On dvd burner. I've fallen for the Lian-Li PC-Q11B, but I'm concerned that I may not be able to mount the H50 in it, or if I can, I won't be able to fit the 9.1 inch GFX card. Does anyone know if it all fits or if it is worth my time to mod it?

Here's my amended part list:

1 LIAN LI PC-Q11B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower $99.99
    1 ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound $8.99
    2 SAMSUNG 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 Model MV-3V4G3/US $47.98 ($23.99 each)
    1 Intel Core i5-3570K 77W BX80637I53570K $239.99
    1 ASRock Z77E-ITX Mini ITX, Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 64GB COMBO $214.98

Subtotal: $611.93
    Shipping: $7.33
    Grand Total: $619.26

With this hardware, I'll be able to RAID0 my old SSD with the new one (both m4 64GB), use my DVD drive, and have one storage drive (WD Black 640, or Seagate 1TB).