1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Software recommendations for jukebox

Discussion in 'Software' started by MaximumShow, 10 Jan 2009.

1. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

I need some software recommendations for my music jukebox. I will not be recording tv programs at all, and this seems to be the main feature of most HTPC front ends.

There are a few things that I need:

1. The main feature of this system is to play music, so it needs a superior library system or navigation menu. I will not have a touch screen, so menus must be navigable via both key commands and an ATI remote wonder.

2. This will also be my bittorrent system, so I need to be able to direct downloads here automatically, or be able to log into it and engage downloads remotely.

3. The system will be connected to the TV but it would be desirable to be able to connect to it via my main PC to sort, move and rename files, and to sometimes navigate the music menu when the remote is far away. I'd prefer to not have to have a keyboard plugged into the jukebox.

Thanks

2. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

I'm interested to see what others recommend for you as well. I can't help with #1, but...
    #2 - Depends on your torrent software. I've read here that uTorrent has a webUI to allow you to interact/program it. VNC is a free alternative for connecting to & controlling a different pc.
    #3 - See above re: VNC. Also you might look into a wireless/bluetooth keyboard/mouse option to control it while connected to your TV in an un-obtrusive manner.

Are you thinking Linux Distros vs Windows Media Center type OS?

3. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

I have zero knowledge with linux, which is funny cause I used to be a pc tech. It might be more of a hassle to go with linux, as I'd have to learn everything from the begining. However, I am completely open to suggestions of any kind.

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Myth might be overkill, but I'd definately go Linux...

... but that's just me ;)

5. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Glider's a linux guru, but I've heard good things about myth tv's ease. You could skip the tv part and just use it for media. (They have premade distros optimized for it.)