1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V speakers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IvanIvanovich, 28 Mar 2011.

1. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

my old stereo is getting a little on the nasty side. so i think it would be a good time to update.
    i'm currently using an old technics (and i mean OLD) receiver that i intend to replace with something like the audioengine n22.
    for speakers i have some equally ancient jbl bookshelf speakers, while they don't sound too horrible, they are bulky and one of the tweeters is dead on one unit.
    so to make short i'm after something thats small, that sounds good, with a fair full range. they can be a little short on bass as i would like to add a separate sub when i have more funds. i have say a $250-300 ish budget for a pair. as an added bonus if you can come up with any that look interesting to boot (ala b&o beolab4) that would be highly appreciated as well.
    alternately if you want to recommend bare drivers feel free to do that as well, it's not outside the realm of doability for me to make some enclosures ala ikea saladbowl speakers or something.
    thanks.

2. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

3. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

+1 to Polk. They aren't the fanciest speakers but they get the job done. I have the RTi4's (which has been discontinued/replaced with the RTi A line) for the front and surrounds, along with a CSi3 center, and the PSW111 sub.

The different models go for different usages. I can't remember where I read it but the RTi's were aimed more for home theater while the TSi was more for music, etc.

EDIT: The RTi4's can also be had for $150 a pair.

4. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I am guessing 5.1 surround speakers are out of the question?

5. IvanIvanovich

ya anything more than 2.1 is really not useful to me. my apartment is pretty tiny and has a weird layout. i guess some of that could be overcome by using wireless speakers, but those have their own issues.
    so i guess saying what my main uses for speakers are could be helpful then...
    music, music, more music, gaming.
    perhaps the polk audio r150 ,klipsch b-20... or i could skip out the amp and go for some powered monitors like some m-audio or berengers or something...

[edit] maybe i should just save up for an elekit system. all tube amp and wood cone speakers...drooooooooooooool.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2011
  6. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

Of course, if you wanted to really party, you could always get some decent DJ speakers like the Behringer B212D's. Of course, your neighbors wouldn't care for you too much after that :eek:

7. IvanIvanovich

i might invest in something like those if i played out places where i needed my own sound system, but for home use... yeah way overkill. i'd probably have my neighbors pounding on my door when they were on volume level1.

8. IvanIvanovich

this is probably a long shot, but does anyone happen to have any experience with anthony gallo a'diva's? i found some used for sale at a steal ($350 / pair, without stands), but have no way of hearing what they sound like.
    right now i'm at a toss between those and some kef t101's at $450 / pair.

9. NeilJM

NeilJM What's a Dremel?

How small are we talking?