1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Don't Starve

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by GeorgeStorm, 6 Apr 2013.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Didn't see a thread about this game so thought I'd make one, who's got it? :D
    www.dontstarvegame.com

I got it last week and I'm loving it, watching this video made me buy it:

How long have people managed to live? I'm on my 4/5th life and currently on day 29, feeling much more confident about surviving winter than last time! :p

hoochy and Teelzebub like this.
  2. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

I don't yet have it but after watching this I might.

Incidentally this is the second 'An Evening with Sips' game play video that you have posted (first one being for SimCity5) that has now/ is now going to make me buy a game. :D +rep

I can listen to that guy all day - his enthusiasm at the smallest things makes me smile :)

3. GeorgeStorm

Haha yeah I only recently discovered him but I love his commentary, and he's also not too good at games, so you can relate to him nicely :)

If people want to buy it then I recommend buying it from Klei directly here.

You get two steam copies and two chrome copies which you can sell onto your friends :D (or you can buy my final chrome copy :p)

4. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Damn, I got it from Steam instead of Klei. Oh well! It reminds me of Minecraft but with a much cooler theme. I am loving the music! It's one of those games which could eat up hours without you noticing!!

5. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Thought I'd just necro this thread, rather than start my own. Is anyone still playing this? I want to buy this, but I have a few questions first:

1) Is there any form of ending to a game? I know it's a"sandbox" game, but there must be a goal beyond just simply eat and make fire. No need for spoilers here, just yes or no.

2) I have watched a few youtube vids, but I don't want to spoil anything, but I assume you are able to start building a more permanent campsite after a while, correct? (walls, hut, log cabin, etc)

3) Is there any type of Co-Op in the game? anything for the future?

Again, I get that it's a sandbox game, but I have a bit of a problem with games that are directionless, like Minecraft. The whole time I play that game (though fun in it's own right), I find myself constantly asking "what now?" followed by "but why do that? there's no motivation to do that". I know - wrong mentality for a game like minecraft, but it's the best way I can explain it :p

Anyway, thanks for any help.

6. GeorgeStorm

Haven't played for a little while due to coming up to my exam period and having lots of deadlines but:
    1) I think so. There's 'adventure mode' where you have to make it through 5 'difficult' worlds, to complete it. I've never done it so I'm not sure exactly what happens at the end etc.

2) You can build walls, although as far as I'm aware you can't build a hut or house.

3) Not at the moment, although I believe people have worked on mods to do it, check out the don't starve forums for stuff like that:
    http://forums.kleientertainment.com/forumdisplay.php?20-Don-t-Starve-Beta

There is slight direction in the game, since there are certain things that you basically need to do/find in order to survive for any length of time, but in the end you just have to try and not die.

7. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

So I bought the game 2 days ago, and I am seriously enjoying it. I've tried to figure out as much as possible on my own, which for the most part is easy enough to do. Somethings they should tell you though, or at least hint at.

A good example of this is the "things" you find and what they are meant for. Or this yellow meter with a brain on it that decreases and increases randomly. For these (and a few others) I had to look up on a wiki to understand them at all. Problem there is that they then give all the info, not just a hint if thats all you want.

At the end of the day, an awesome game: 7.5/10 + 1.5 once they have added a bit more polish to the game (which they are busy with currently)

PS: If anyone wants small amounts of help or only hints (as opposed to using a wiki with spoilers all over the place), ask here: I will try to be as ambiguous as possible :p

/2cents

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I only got this this week - I think it's amazing.

9. GeorgeStorm

Haven't played this in a long time, but I've seen a couple of teaser videos for a DLC coming out this year, not sure if it will be free or not.

There's lots of new content I haven't tried yet, including 99% of the caves, but I just haven't got the courage to start again yet since my last death left me very sad indeed :p

Glad to hear you like it though :D

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

This came on PS+ the other month, I haven't given it a proper bash yet but will do, looks interesting.

11. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

I played this a few times, but got so demot from always dying round day 5, i just gave up.

12. Margo Baggins

I think there is quite a steep learning curve - got to beyond 10 days last night, but I am not one for working things out myself, I read wiki's, tonight I am going to try and get to winter and beyond!

13. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I started playing a beta a while ago and managed to get the hang off it but since the inclusion of so many new things it's getting harder but I always go back for a 20min play here and there

14. GeorgeStorm

I played it quite a bit when I got it, gradually going up mainly through trial and error with some help from wikis here and there.

Very rewarding when you get further than you have before, build new items etc, however obviously with that the further you get the more you have to lose, and the worse it feels when the inevitable does happen.... :p

15. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Yeah, it's a good game but one of the worst games in terms of rage when you die after a good run, I find.

16. Margo Baggins

I experienced this last night when I went from hero to zero in about 5 minutes. Due to being inexperienced! I had a very decent starting week, had a nice base, farms, had found 2 touchstones which were close, I had beefalos within reach, pigs, literally more rocks and gold than I'd ever seen in the game - then a bloody tree man somehow got aggroed, chased me around and ended up killing me, and rooting in my base, I went back and he killed me again, I went back on my final life and he had gone away again - so then I carried on, needed manure so I went to get some but the beefalos were on heat, so killed me dead and that was the end of that! I knew that they could be angry etc. but I didn't know there were then, nor did I appreciate how fast they run and how much they hurt you!

17. GeorgeStorm

Well I thought I'd give this a bit of a bump since the DLC is out soon :)

It's called Reign of Giants, and adds a load of new stuff (new seasons, items, creatures, biomes, characters etc)

I think it's 5USD-ish from Klei's humble store, a little more on Steam. Picked it up over the weekend and started a new game (been a long time since I've played Don't Starve due to the rage Julian mentioned :p). Only a couple of days in, so haven't seen much of the new stuff, but it's got me excited about the game again certainly and I'm remembering why I enjoyed it so much.

Anyone else picked it up/still playing?

18. GeorgeStorm

Died in my first decent-ish game last night at Day 31 due to Deerclops :(

Came across the Bearger during Autumn but managed to survive long enough for it just to seemingly disappear :/

Quite a few new cool things, items, crafting recipes, mobs etc.

If you've not played it in a while and fancy giving it another go I'd definitely say the DLC gives it a nice breath of fresh air :)