1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics "Access Denied" installing video card drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nnyan, 17 Jan 2005.

1. Nnyan

Nnyan What's a Dremel?

I am getting this error on a new install just for the video card (e-vga 6600GT AGP). Driver install goes well (no errors) but driver never "sticks". When I update the driver from hardware manager it gives me the "access denied" error. This is on Windows XP. In the device setting I have an MS error "Code 28" but I was unable to find any help in MS's boards. Here are the steps I've taken so far:

1) Account has admin privs but I log into the administrator account and get the same thing.

2) I've killed all background processes that could be "locking" up the file to no avail.

3) I've turned off Driver Signing in case that was the issue and nada.

4) I've tried Nvidia's drivers (and several others) and no go.

5) I've booted into VGA Mode and Safe Mode and attempted to install the drivers then and no go.

6) Called E-VGA tech support and they were no help, they said I should contact MSI.

Any ideas?

2nd Prob I am having is that the SATA hard drive (C:) shows up on the right hand corner as a removable drive (normally what a USB/Firewire drive would look like)

I appologize for the double post.

2. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

That took all of 5 seconds to find.
    If you go to the Knowledge Base and type "Code 28 Video Card", it's the first one in the list. But, to help you out, I'll give you what MS says

"Code 28
    The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28).

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver

Solution button: Reinstall Driver

This code means the device was not installed.

To resolve this issue, follow the recommended solution. If that does not work, remove the device with Device Manager, and then use the Add New Hardware wizard to redetect it. You may have to obtain updated drivers if the error still occurs."

Make sure you have Cryptographic Services running in your services (start -> run -> "services.msc" -> cryptographic services -> properties -> automatic).

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Check you have "allow unsigned drivers" enabled in uhh.. system properties somewhere.

4. Nnyan

Nnyan What's a Dremel?

I missed one step detailing what I've done, but i did detail that I did multiple driver installs.

7. Searched MS knowledgebase for the error and none of the solutions I was able to find there (and/or referenced from other sites) worked, (including the one that took 5 secs to find). Clicking the re-install drivers doesn't work, removing it and then attempting to find it using the new hardware wiz doesn't work (pre and post reboots).

Error 28 seems to be a generic "driver not installed" error but it does not deal with the CORE issue which is the "Access Denied" error which is why the driver is not installing and windows gives you the generic code 28 message.

I had not checked the crypto service and I did and its running fine. As for your suggestion Bindibadgi thats what I did in step #3 sorry for the vagueness.

As an additional step I removed the 6600GT card and installed an ATI 9600pro that I had lying around and that installs just fine (as does every other driver install/update).

5. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Is your OS up to date?

6. Nnyan

Nnyan What's a Dremel?

To answer the question yes I have WinXP SP2 CD and its fully patched after that.

I finally did find out what the problem was so I wanted to post this in case anyone else runs into this problem.

After playing around with completely removing the Nvidia drivers/software (mostly manually and from all the driver caches etc...) I was pretty sure the issue is with the Nvidia drivers themselves as per the AGP version of the 6XXX cards (other Nvidia cards I had lying around worked fine on this PC).

I then installed the 6600GT on two of my other PC's and it worked fine on one but I got the same problem on the other. At this point I'm thinking its a compatibility issue between the motherboard(s) and the AGP 6600GT.

Doing some research I can only find published accounts of the AGP version having issues with the SIS chipset mobos but I decided to do a clean wipe of the drivers and try the latest Nvidia Beta drivers which state that they fix the AGP 6xxxx driver corruption issues with certain mobos.

Lo and Behold these installed fine and I'm up and running. I did get an error about an Nvidia version difference but it flashed by too fast for me to see what it was saying, but I'm not too worried since this is now fine after 8+ hours of stress testing.

7. Benrix

Benrix What's a Dremel?

Thanks

Hey nnyan. Thanks for posting your solution. I'm having the same problem with a GF 5900xt card. I was gonna switch to a new VIA chipset mobo anyway, but if that doesn't solve the problem I'll try the beta nvidia drivers. Thanks again for your post.

Tags: