1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus z170 Sabertooth S - Assist fans never turn off

Discussion in 'Asus UK' started by teamtd11, 30 Jul 2016.

1. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Hi, Strange issue with my Asus Sabertooth z170 S motherboard. When I shutdown the PC now, the assist fans never turn off. When I power the computer back on I get a anti-serge warning, Bought a brand new power supply but the issue is the same.
    If after shutting down I turn the PC off at the wall, when I turn it back on again the next day all is okay, No anti-surge warnings.

I have tried this with a 650W Cyonic by Seasonic AU-650x, and a XFX 1050W power supply.

I have also reset bios to defaults with the onboard jumper.
    Bios is the latest version.

Any Ideas? I have no issue with turning off at the wall on a night, its just strange.

2. Will_ASUSUK

Will_ASUSUK What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    Apologies you are having issues, have you tried turning off surge detection in the BIOS?
    Regards

3. teamtd11

Hi, Yes turning off surge protection in the bios stops the warnings on boots, and everything seams to work fine.
    Am I fine running the machine with this disabled?

4. Will_ASUSUK

Will_ASUSUK What's a Dremel?

Excellent, yes that is fine to run it without it on, sometimes it can be a bit sensitive. Regards Will.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

For what it is worth, I think that it is a compatibility issue with the board and/or PSU. I have the Sabertooth Mark 1 in my current rig (for now) which portrayed a very similar issue to yours. Mine, however, would take anywhere from one to twenty (or more) quick power on/off cycles to just POST with a Corsair AX1200i. As soon as I swapped it for a Superflower 1200w unit, the issue disappeared immediately. The issue was still present, even when the surge protection was turned off in the BIOS. I thought it was just a misfortune on my half, but it wasn't.

I now have the surge protection enabled (because I thought I'd try it) and it has not tripped once since then. I wish I knew more on the matter, but I think it really is as simple as a compatibility issue, which is likely to be down to your board and PSU combo. :(

The only common thing I notice between your PSUs is that they are both made by Seasonic - XFX uses them as their OEM.

6. teamtd11

Thanks for this. I still see the issue with the PC needing to be turned off at the wall to stop the assist fans spinning. This could be it as everything was fine with a corsair TX750 but it was the loudest thing in the PC. So I swapped it out.
    Time to start selling these power supplies :wallbash: