1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MAXIMUS IX HERO - BROADBAND SPEED

Discussion in 'Asus UK' started by mattbailey, 14 Mar 2017.

1. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

Any idea why since building my new rig that the broadband, that my phone shows on wifi is 70mbps, is on the desktop 9mbps!

I have even tried buying a PCIE ethernet card! :wallbash:

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Faulty cable, networking gear? If you've tried the onboard ethernet and a pcie ethernet card then perhaps the issue lies outside your pc?

3. Will_ASUSUK

Will_ASUSUK What's a Dremel?

Have you tried a different cable, updating ethernet drivers etc?

If you continue to have issues, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

ASUS UK Support team
    Hotline: 01442-265548 9am - 5pm
    Email: http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx

4. mattbailey

The cable worked fine on my old PC (its Cat6A) ; and I have bought a Ethernet card too, so I have the onboard and the card - some times when I boot up i'm getting 9.5mbps and i can restart the PC and then be getting 68mbps+!

I will try the drivers again; or the BIOS, but it was a preoverclocked bundle from SCAN and they discourage that BIOS being updated.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Is this the actual connection to the router or your speed test? You're probably out of decent range if it is the former.

6. mattbailey

When it was installed i get 80 into the house (i'm close to the exchange!), and then I have 20m of Cat6A from the route to the computer - which reduces the speed to about 68. Since last night, I have been getting full speed (again) but sometimes its 9mbps - at first I thought it was the chipset; now i'm wondering if SSE are throttling at sometimes? Basically, i'm not sure of anything now! ;-)

7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

One thing you can be certain of; it's not your computer! :)

8. mattbailey

Well the mobile phone connects on wifi at 70mbps, so its not throttling. But a reboot only takes 6 seconds with the M2 SSD so its not the end of the world. Yet!

9. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

How is your PC connected to the router? Is it cable directly from PC to Router or are you using ethernet over powerline? Is there a switch between the two? What standard ethernet cable are you using? Shielded or non-shielded? Is there an interference source? Is the cable old?

There are so many variables! The bottom line is that if you sometimes get the full broadband speed to your PC, then the likelihood is that it's not your PC at fault, so look between the PC and the router OR look for a parasitic process on the PC that's using the network.

10. mattbailey

I cant remember if its shielded or not, but it always worked fine, it was yesterday, its not right now. Its a newish cable, less than 18 months and yes its direct from PC to router.

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you have a spare cable, swap out and test. Also, try a different port on the router to rule out that too.

Are you sure your pc isn't downloading updates in the background? Use resource monitor in task manager to view network I/O when you're testing the broadband speed.

12. mattbailey

I think i've fixed it. Interrupt modulation was enabled and having disabled, both LAN ports are at full speed - for the moment at least!