1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Tt eSports Challenger Keyboard Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

if they can have an upgrade to make the fan motorized and a little bigger then your all set for the summer =p but really I will stick with my G15.

3. xela333

xela333 What's a Dremel?

lol same old thermaltake crap They make some of the most god awful looking cases known to man. More to the point their R&D department seem to work vie a small room and a pair of binoculars, viewing the gaming world from some wierd perspective if that makes any sense at all.

4. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Basically, you're better off with air conditioning and a better keyboard.

5. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Please tell me you're joking.

6. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

The amount of air that fan likely moves youd get cooler hands by just occasionally blowing on them yourself, in between headshots.

7. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

I dont think it would be too difficult to mod a 120mm fan to it - but do realise that the fan will draw a maximum of 5v from the USB - which is roughly a bit of a breeze on a 120mm

8. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine Snacker

A hand fan? That's just insulting.

9. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I am still rocking an aluminium Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case from way back and am constantly on the lookout for good upgrades so I must agree that other than the frio cooler surely they have done nothing worthwhile for a while, it does all seem to be rather bizarre.

10. Zayfod

Zayfod What's a Dremel?

Since when is Insert of all things an annoying key?

11. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

More land fill crap

12. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

Okay, so here's the Revision v2.0: MOUNT THE FAN INSIDE THE KEYBOARD AND HAVE SOME DUCTING TO FUNNEL IT UP THROUGH THE KEYS!

Jesus, you just bolt a fan to the top of a keyboard? What sort of bollocks is that...

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

have you ever accidently hit it and whatever you were typing erased what was in front >.< thats annoying.

14. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I saw this at i40, i was like, a fan, seriously?

Would love to see a review of the Razer Blackwidow released yesterday.

15. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

People will literally think your a w@nker if they see this keyboard on your desk.

16. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Ah, the niche market, clever.

17. Canon

Canon Reformed

What.....seriously? Am I imagining this or am I looking upon a keyboard with a fan on it? (which by the way looks like an afterthought)

It looks like a Razer Arctosa knock-off with a slightly different colour scheme, less buttons and a fan slapped on the top of it.

My case sits next to me on my desk, the little amount of air that escapes that is probably 10x the amount that would come into contact with my hand from that fan.

18. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

That's exactly what I thought when I read that. Since when have Thermaltake been a company to expect good things from?!

I built my brothers new gaming PC at the time in one of those about 2-3 years ago, and it wasn't all that horrible a case at the time, but it was still pretty cheap and cheerful. He still has it, gave it to his wife when he bought a new PC earlier this year. "CoolAll your life" seriously? That's the stupidest company slogan I've ever heard. And since you've mentioned the Frio I'll add this - I bought one last week to put in my overclocked i7 920 system because I was a bit sick of the plain Jane looks of the standard Titan Fenrir. I bought it purely based on the CPC review where it won a premium award. I amost bought a Coolermaster V8 instead, but it was out of stock. Anyway, the Frio arrived and I fitted it to my EVGA X58 classified motherboard. Several things to note.

- Too "plasticky". no need for it, it could be a great cooler but the quality, as always, is just not there.

- Wonky fins. If I take the fans off it and look at the angle of the fins in relation to the vertical heatpipes, it's blatantly obvious that every fin in the thing is mounted at an angle. Again, no build quality.

- Manual speed adjustable fans. Really? 3-pin fans with manual potentiometers on them instead of a PWM fan, since practically every motherboard worth anything these days has a PWM CPU fan header. Rubbish - I've already ordered a pair of PWM fans and a splitter for them so I can plug them into the motherboard header and have them controlled by the system, like they should be.

- It's too big. Yeah, bigger is more effective, but this thing actually hits the chipset heatsink fin array on my EVGA motherboard. It fits on the board by the skin of it's teeth. And this is a larger than normal board... I dread to think how many boards there are that it will not fit.

Sure, it's an improvement over previous Thermaltake coolers, and a step in the right direction... it may even be the most effective cooler when you compare it degree by degree to all the other coolers on the market, but IMHO Thermaltake still can't design and manufacture high quality components... just cheap, plasticky crap. I'm picking up a V8 for this machine as soon as they come back into stock at Scan.

19. Canon

Canon Reformed

Their staff are very dedicated too! An e-mail sent about a month ago to inform them of a pretty silly typo in the advertisements for their new 'Armor' case range, got a reply telling me it had been forwarded to that department manager to then be passed on further until it was resolved. Couple of weeks down the line I get an e-mail from the UK representitive telling me that it had been fixed and they were very thankful and was given a telephone and e-mail to contact them.

Next week, ads had been dished out again.......same typo. I have to agree on 'CoolAll your life' it's more ridiculous crap that these low quality companies come off with, I think the fact that they havn't come up with anything good is down to the fact that they're so tight they're employing staff that are responsible for marketing that can barely operate a keyboard (probably the same to develop this garbage) and have little grasp of the English language, an essential for advertising in any region.

p.s having an upper and lower case 'T' (Tt) on my keyboard in bold red would annoy the **** out of me.

20. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Having an upper and lower case "T" on my CPU cooler does annoy the **** out of me. :rolleyes:

Like I said, the V8 is a-comin'.

Tags: Add Tags