1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google Chrome now more popular than Firefox in the UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 1 Aug 2011.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I've actually moved to Chrom-e/-ium but this makes me a little sad. I still have Firefox here: <3.

3. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

My old workplace blocked Chrome and Firefox use. Until companies like that learn that other browsers are just plain better than IE, FF and Chrome won't gain majority.

New workplace uses firefox. Its liberating.

4. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Chrome all the way for me personally, though in my company we've had to implement Firefox since Chrome installs on a per-user basis which is very, very annoying (and completely impractical) when people hot-seat.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Tried Chrome, went back to Firefox.

The jump from FF to Chrome isn't the paradigm shift that Firebird was from IE5/IE6. And there is comfort in familiarity.

6. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

Chrome <3

7. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

I've been a Chrome user since the day it came out and all I did was grab it out of curiosity, before that I was a die hard Opera user. I've hardly really used IE or Firefox and certainly never on my own machine. It's nice to see Chrome getting some users it's just a shame that they seem to be coming over from FF rather than where they need to, from IE.

8. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I started with Firefox when it first hit beta. I've never left. Never had any problems, the add-on support is tremendous and I have always found it very easy to use.

9. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I <3 chrome too

10. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I was a die-hard FF user, bitched about Chrome being too simplistic, used it and now I eat my words.

Chrome is great, not had one issue on any machine I have/use.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

still prefer Firefox's totally customisable feature (where's about:config in Chrome?)

so that i can use it the same way i use it back in 2005.

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I use fox on computers with muscle, just so I can have silly add-ons etc (and decent bookmark integration, I just don't like the way Chrome does it), but on any machine with limited hardware I always go for Chrome, and love it.

13. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

soon as it gets aero ill start using it, but it just looks to ghetto next to opera.

14. Digibull

Digibull Stealth Geek

It's not so much that IT departments are unaware of other & better browsers, it's a case of compatability and support. There are a lot of corporate applications out there which only officially support IE (though they may work on other browsers, if they're not supported then management isn't interested in rolling them out).

As a system admin, I have locked down installations of Chrome and Firefox because users insisted on installing them themselves (Chrome and firefox install to the users profile and therefore doesn't require admin rights) and using them to access the intranet and web applications. When they discovered they didn't work I simply advised them to use IE (with which the applications do work), when they refused to comply I locked it down. Having such calls clog up a helpdesk is just inefficent. Also a lot group policy application rollouts, such as adobe flash, only update it for IE. Firefox/chrome requires a seperate installation which is too much support work.

My point being, from an IT support point of view, IE is the only real choice for a lot of companies. At home I use and love Chrome, I find it a lot easier to use and I do believe there is a noticable difference in speed. Until other browsers become better supported in a corporate environment, IE will still be the winner for work.

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Use opera both at home and work.
    Used to use firefox, found it started crashing etc more and more, tried chrome, found it a bit meh, tried opera, not looked back.

16. VeNoM JaCKaL

VeNoM JaCKaL L4D2 nom nom time!

Cant do with Firefox and all the lovely add-ons that I use day in day out. However I have defiantly seen the worse side of the Firefox - freezes slow loading times and occasional crashes since the new version. Hope will still try adding to the library but without compromising the staple usability of the browser.

17. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Used Opera for the last 10 years, seen no reason to switch.

18. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Try and all shall be revealed.

TSB

19. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

My workplace uses Chrome. Primarily because I deployed it :p

20. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I prefer chrome even though you can do more with firefox as firefox has too many gimmicks now

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Tags: Add Tags